Reading or studying while listening to music

by venger
Tags: listening, music, reading, studying
venger
Mar18-07, 08:34 PM
P: 61
Does reading or studying while listening to music improve or worsen your mental process?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Pregnancy complications may be more common in immigrants from certain regions
Use of frozen material for fecal transplant successfully treats C. difficile infection
Death rates from pancreatic cancer predicted to rise in Europe in 2014
Kanse
Mar19-07, 09:10 AM
P: 12
For some people such as myself I use to block out external noises. While seriously studying I never pay attention to the music. When I realize the song that is playing I am surprised by the fact that the CD is that far into the tracks. Your brain tends to block out alot of things in the environment.
radou
Mar19-07, 10:18 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,225
I used to listen to music while studying, but I don't practice that anymore. Even when I did so, it was not the type of music I was usually listening too - it was either something new, which I hadn't heard before, or some completely different genre. When you know what you're listening too, you're automatically focused on "what comes next" (i.e. hey that's my favourite solo!).

Evo
Mar19-07, 11:40 AM
Mentor
P: 25,964

Reading or studying while listening to music

I need absolute silence when I study or work.
baywax
Mar19-07, 12:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,215
I need a cafeteria full of noise to write essays and stuff. Something to do with ambient noise and free associated words filtering into my writing.
Moonbear
Mar19-07, 02:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
And, thus, the answer is...it depends on the person.

I focus on things I need to read much better when lost amidst a large crowd, and barring that, with plenty of upbeat music. But, I've known plenty of others who need dead silence to study. One thing for certain, my office with this white noise generator (a.k.a., the noisy air vent) is the absolute worst place for me to focus on anything.
venger
Mar19-07, 03:36 PM
Let me rephrase the question, does listening to music while doing homework/studying/reading help the brain in any sort of way. Can any one list advantages and disadvantages about all this?
berkeman
Mar19-07, 03:53 PM
Mentor
P: 39,720
Quote Quote by venger View Post
Let me rephrase the question, does listening to music while doing homework/studying/reading help the brain in any sort of way. Can any one list advantages and disadvantages about all this?
The disadvantage for me is that it is distracting. My mantra when studying or working is "Relax and focus." For me it's hard to focus when there are constant distractions.
DyslexicHobo
Mar19-07, 06:40 PM
P: 248
When I study, I either need a constant noise such as my computer or fan (even as loud as a jumbo jet probably wouldn't bother me) or complete silent. Because I have ADD my mind automatically tries to focus on something else, in this case, the music. Even if it's music that I don't know, I'll still focus in on the rhythm or words while I'm studying.
BillJx
Mar19-07, 09:08 PM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by baywax View Post
I need a cafeteria full of noise to write essays and stuff. Something to do with ambient noise and free associated words filtering into my writing.
Me too! When I told my wife I have trouble studying in an empty house, she told me I like to have someone to ignore! I think that the external distractions, which are easy to block, make me less aware of the self-generated distractions.
interested_learner
Mar19-07, 10:11 PM
P: 215
I have come up with my most creative solutions to work problems when driving a car and listening to classical music. Music with words does not work. It has to be only instruments.

Driving down a dark empty highway with Mozart works best but I once got an answer to an important problem involving a space craft failure when driving in Los Angeles.
venger
Mar20-07, 04:58 PM
I find that i focus better when listening to music. So what can be said about all this? How can this incorporate intelligence? Is there a difference between a genius that works with silence and a person who works while listening to music? I would like a study to be done.
Zenparticle
Apr19-07, 11:34 AM
P: 47
Quote Quote by interested_learner View Post
I have come up with my most creative solutions to work problems when driving a car and listening to classical music. Music with words does not work. It has to be only instruments.
Agreed, It has to have no lyrics for me to write with it on- I prefer progressive house or music which is spacial
denverdoc
Apr19-07, 05:47 PM
P: 1,351
driving is great for me, with or w/out music--its a wonder I haven't killed anyone.
chroot
Apr19-07, 06:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
I find that I need little 30-45 second "mini breaks" during any intense mental activity. As a result, it's absolutely imperative for me to have some kind of distraction available, but it must be relatively unobtrusive. In other words, it needs to be just interesting enough to attract my attention every now and then, but not so interesting that I have a hard time tearing myself away from it.

I generally listen to progressive trance or downtempo when I'm working hard on something. If the music keeps me tapping my toes, it helps keeps me focused on what I'm doing. I generally don't even look around the room until a song ends. Trance music seems particularly suited for my study habits -- the repitition is actually desirable, since you can enjoy it without having to concentrate on any specific passage. The vocals typically repeat, so they're not distracting. The tempo is fast, and somehow encourages me to work more diligently. It kinda whips me up into a fervor.

I also play the same movies over and over again while I'm studying -- old favorites like Pulp Fiction and The Matrix, etc. They don't demand any serious attention, since I could probably recite them both by heart now, but they provide the little 30-45 second breaks that I need periodically.

So, I guess it's true that in my case, music helps me work faster, or at least more intently. I don't know that it makes me any smarter, but it certainly does seem to help me get things done pronto.

- Warren
Type 7
Apr19-07, 09:02 PM
P: 32
Quote Quote by venger View Post
Years ago I read about some research that showed a positive effect on learning, especially on memory, when info was presented to subjects while they listened to Baroque music, fugues by Bach for example. Supposedly it's the tempo that matters. I haven't seen anything since then, so maybe it was debunked.
denverdoc
Apr20-07, 12:11 AM
P: 1,351
funny you should mention that recent Nature article said no, at least Baroque + baby not equal to Einstein. bUt who knows they may end up better electric guitar players.
Addens
Jan5-09, 06:44 PM
P: 1
It really does depend on the person. Personally I prefer listening to music on the bus or when I am just sitting and thinking like on the train or the bus. When I am doing work I don't like to because there is to much noise.

Register to reply