How do you listen to portable music?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: Then again, I don't walk anywhere. So my mobile music is Sirius XM on my car radio.You can still buy them for around $30 depending on the storage limit.In summary, most people these days prefer cellphone-integrated MP3 players like the AmazonBasics model, which have a battery that lasts forever, or a dedicated MP3 player like the Bose model that is noise-cancelling and snaps to retain form. You can still buy MP3 players for around $30, but there are also more expensive options available.
kyphysics
What method do you use nowadays to listen to music while on the move?

Are MP3 players even used anymore?

• Skeptical
Likes symbolipoint and pinball1970
Computer science news on Phys.org
One nice thing about the dedicated mp3 players is that a battery charge lasts FOREVER. (well maybe just a week)

Likes jedishrfu
Some work environments allow MP3 players without wireless capabilities but not cellphones for security reasons.

Also some MP3 players come with FM radio which is not activated on cellphones.

Likes anorlunda
I've never owned an MP3 player. The last portable player I had played CDs (with the fanciest 4x skip buffering!).

Then again, I don't walk anywhere. So my mobile music is Sirius XM on my car radio.

Likes symbolipoint
kyphysics said:
When I walk long distances in the sultry weather in the afternoon, my phone is the source of music. I use YouTube Vanced, so ads are not a problem. (Now that the Vanced project has been shut down, I am still searching for an alternative.)

When I drive, I do not listen to music as it distracts me.

I have Bose noise canceling headphones that I got for free when I switched from Roger's to Telus seven years ago. They snapped, so I duct taped coat hangar wire to them so they retain their form and stay on my head.

I reluctantly use Spotify and pay for it. I used to be able to play all my CD/iTunes downloaded music for free on Google Play Music, but someone somewhere isn't profiting off of me, so they got rid of that.

I downloaded a free EQ/volume booster app that vastly improves sound quality. I believe it is just called Bass Booster. I can't believe the difference it makes. I'd recommend everyone give it try, because some headphones lack bass, some lack treble, some are just plain garbage.

• Sad
Likes symbolipoint
These are slightly odd answers from the view of a Silicon Valley native. The answer here is your own MP3s downloaded to your smartphone, or a service like Spotify (however you connect to it). Also Sirius/XM in your car (mostly for news, in my case). If I want music in my car I play my MP3s.

Or this, if you are were an audiophile.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
kyphysics said:

Are MP3 players even used anymore?
Hudl from Tesco. It has my videos, the Net so YouTube, music, debates, where's Webb and pf.

I have a large collection of CDs dating from ancient times, so I rip them, load them onto my iPhone, and play them through my Bluetooth-capable hearing aids. You can think of them as very expensive AirPods. I think of them as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Before that, I used an iPod with lightweight headphones that worked with the telecoils in my hearing aids (electromagnetic pickup circuits intended for use with telephones). Before that, I used a portable CD player with those headphones. I had to fuss with positioning the headphones properly. OK for driving, not so much for walking.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and FactChecker
Me too Phonak Audeo Marvels 2k to 6k for a pair depending on advanced features.

1. How does listening to portable music affect your hearing?

Listening to music at high volumes for extended periods of time can damage your hearing. It is important to take breaks and lower the volume to prevent any long-term hearing loss.

2. What are the benefits of using headphones versus speakers for portable music?

Headphones provide a more immersive and personal listening experience, while speakers allow for more social listening. Additionally, headphones can help protect others from being disturbed by the music.

3. Is there a difference in sound quality between different types of portable music devices?

Yes, there can be differences in sound quality depending on the device and its audio capabilities. Higher-end devices typically have better sound quality, but it also depends on the quality of the music file itself.

4. Can listening to music while working or studying improve productivity?

It depends on the individual and the type of music. Some people may find that listening to background music can improve focus and productivity, while others may find it distracting. It's important to find what works best for you.

5. How can I safely store and carry my portable music device?

To prevent damage to your device, it is important to keep it in a protective case or pouch when not in use. Avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture. Additionally, be careful not to drop or mishandle the device to avoid any hardware damage.