Is it possible for people to mentally focus on more than one thing at a time?

• Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
In summary: But it turns out that I can't stress out on something if I put on music and sing along. It seems to be impossible to sing out loud and stress over the day at the same time. There may be a trick to it, but I am not sure what it is.In summary, people cannot visually focus on more than one thing without going cross-eyed. Prey have one eye on each side of their head, think chicken or the compound eye of an insect. Peripheral vision is very important in dynamic situations. If you turn your head, or focus your eyes, you will lose the ability to be aware of the many things happening about you. When you face and look straight ahead,
Gear300
People cannot visually focus on more than one thing without going cross-eyed. Is the same true for mentally concentrating on multiple tasks? Like reading and listening to two different things at the same time when studying? Is there a trick that choreographers or performance artists know? Or is this a stupid question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a reference? It is true for neither your eyes nor your brain.

Likes Gear300
Gear300 said:
People cannot visually focus on more than one thing without going cross-eyed.
People with only one eye have no problem with going cross-eyed. Predators have two eyes on the front of their face, so they can focus on pursuit of their food, think cats or owls. Prey have one eye on each side of their head, think chicken or the compound eye of an insect.

You should not allow a single point of focus to distract you. That is true when driving on the road, when playing chess, or when defending yourself from multiple threats.

Peripheral vision is very important in dynamic situations. If you turn your head, or focus your eyes, you will lose the ability to be aware of the many things happening about you. When you face and look straight ahead, your peripheral vision enables you to see more than 180° in front and either side of you, your pupil is then furthest from your face. Try it sometime, become immersed in the environment, develop a thousand-yard stare and survive.

Your vision and your brain are parallel processors. Use them all, or lose them to a predator.

Likes Gear300 and hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Do you have a reference? It is true for neither your eyes nor your brain.
Lol, I haven't determined that yet.
Baluncore said:
Your vision and your brain are parallel processors. Use them all, or lose them to a predator.
Vision as well? I figured musicians could handle an ensemble of sounds, but also drawing artists? Sounds neat. Well thanks for the answers.

Gear300 said:
Vision as well?
When driving, do you look ahead, at everything that is about to happen, or do you look down at the control you are about to operate inside the vehicle?

Do you turn your head to look at the passenger's face when you are talking and driving, or do you employ your peripheral vision to know their facial response?

You appear to be admitting that you are driving without full situational awareness. That is a bit like the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Baluncore said:
You appear to be admitting that you are driving without full situational awareness. That is a bit like the Dunning-Kruger effect.
My guess is that your answer is "yes, it is possible to multitask." Maybe I'll have the vision thing figured out one day.

I am currently looking at the words on this screen while at the same time being cognizant of the can of pop next to me.

Likes Gear300
DaveC426913 said:
I am currently looking at the words on this screen while at the same time being cognizant of the can of pop next to me.
While reading that I also noticed my tea cup was empty and the cold morning light was coming in through the window. There were half a dozen other unimportant things present about me while I read the screen, along with an obvious "Post reply" button.

Likes DaveC426913 and Gear300
A truly remarkable system is the one that allows your eyes to fix on a target as you spin your head on any axis. By body standards it is lightning fast and you don't notice it unless it screws up (not good trust me). Most of the processing is not done in the brain (because it would be too slow).
Do you need to stop talking if you rotate your head while looking at your conversation partner????

Gear300 said:
People cannot visually focus on more than one thing without going cross-eyed. Is the same true for mentally concentrating on multiple tasks? Like reading and listening to two different things at the same time when studying? Is there a trick that choreographers or performance artists know? Or is this a stupid question?
I once heard someone claim they can track two songs in their head at once. I used to toy with that while I was driving and I think I managed it a few times. I crashed the car but I still kept the melodies going [kidding].

Cool trick that is related: If I'm worried or upset about something and can't stop thinking about it, often almost nothing seems help. I can work out, or focus on work, or clean the house, or watch a movie, but nothing helps. My thoughts keep going back to my stressor.

But it turns out that I can't stress out on something if I put on music and sing along. It seems to be impossible to sing out loud and stress over the day at the same time.

Ivan Seeking said:
I once heard someone claim they can track two songs in their head at once. I used to toy with that while I was driving and I think I managed it a few times. I crashed the car but I still kept the melodies going [kidding].

Cool trick that is related: If I'm worried or upset about something and can't stop thinking about it, often almost nothing seems help. I can work out, or focus on work, or clean the house, or watch a movie, but nothing helps. My thoughts keep going back to my stressor.

But it turns out that I can't stress out on something if I put on music and sing along. It seems to be impossible to sing out loud and stress over the day at the same time.
Legend has it Rush drummer Neil Peart could keep a different time signature with each foot and each hand.

Likes Ivan Seeking

1. Can humans truly multitask?

While it may seem like we can focus on multiple tasks at once, our brains are actually not capable of multitasking in the traditional sense. Instead, we are constantly switching our attention between different tasks, which can lead to decreased efficiency and increased errors.

2. Is it possible to train our brains to multitask better?

While we cannot truly multitask, we can improve our ability to switch between tasks by practicing and becoming more efficient at it. However, this still does not mean we are truly doing multiple things at once.

3. Are there any benefits to multitasking?

Some people may feel like they are accomplishing more by multitasking, but research has shown that it can actually decrease productivity and increase stress levels. It is more effective to focus on one task at a time and give it our full attention.

4. Are there any negative effects of multitasking on the brain?

Studies have shown that multitasking can lead to decreased grey matter in the brain, which is responsible for processing information. It can also increase the production of the stress hormone cortisol, leading to negative effects on overall brain function.

5. Are there certain tasks that are easier to multitask than others?

Some tasks, such as listening to music while working, may not require as much cognitive effort and can be done simultaneously. However, tasks that require more attention and critical thinking, such as studying or problem-solving, are not suitable for multitasking and can actually hinder our performance.