Can the alcohol destroy the property of vitamin C?

In summary: Yes, that is my question. So, how much maximum milliliters alcohol and how much mg vitamin C will not destroy the vitamin C effect?Are you looking for a cure for 'hangover' - post drinking sickness?If you drink alcohol and take a vitamin C tablet, the alcohol will not "stop" the vitamin C effect. In fact, the alcohol may even help to increase the absorption of the vitamin C.
scientist91
If I put some kind of alcohol, can it destroy the property of vitamin C?

Biology news on Phys.org
If you are you asking:
If I drink alcohol and take a vitamin C tablet, will the ethyl alcohol somehow wreck the effects of vitamin C?

First off, vitamins "behave" much better in the presence of complex foods.
Secondly, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in large doses is a diuretic, and it also affects copper absorption, so it isn't necessarily all that beneficial in doses over say, several hundred mg. You need only ~60 mg/day - by the way.

But, alcohol does not "stop" vitamin C necessarily. If you read about this on a "health" website beware: they are trying to sell you something.

jim mcnamara said:
If you are you asking:
If I drink alcohol and take a vitamin C tablet, will the ethyl alcohol somehow wreck the effects of vitamin C?

First off, vitamins "behave" much better in the presence of complex foods.
Secondly, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in large doses is a diuretic, and it also affects copper absorption, so it isn't necessarily all that beneficial in doses over say, several hundred mg. You need only ~60 mg/day - by the way.

But, alcohol does not "stop" vitamin C necessarily. If you read about this on a "health" website beware: they are trying to sell you something.
Yes, that is my question. So, how much maximum milliliters alcohol and how much mg vitamin C will not destroy the vitamin C effect?

Are you looking for a cure for 'hangover' - post drinking sickness?

There isn't a prescription in ml of alcohol and mg of vitamin C. Plus, drinking 95% ethanol is a horrible idea, not to mention probably very painful. If you didn't vomit, drinking 1 liter of 95% ethanol in a few minutes would probably put you into a coma, and have little negative effect on the good effects of vitamin C, because you'd need medical help and/or die - depending on your body weight.

DO NOT DO THIS.

I read on another forum that the vitamin C in alcohol is very stable, so it can stay longer. Is it true?

Can Alcohol Destroy the Properties of Vitamin C?

Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin that is sensitive to various factors, including exposure to alcohol. Let's explore some common questions about the interaction between alcohol and the properties of vitamin C:

Q1: Can Alcohol Interact with Vitamin C?

Yes, alcohol can interact with vitamin C, and the nature of this interaction depends on several factors, including the type and concentration of alcohol, storage conditions, and the form of vitamin C.

Q2: Does Alcohol Destroy Vitamin C?

Alcohol, particularly in high concentrations, can potentially degrade vitamin C over time. The extent of degradation can vary, and factors such as temperature, exposure duration, and the specific form of vitamin C (ascorbic acid or its derivatives) play a role in determining the impact.

Q3: How Does Alcohol Affect the Stability of Vitamin C?

The stability of vitamin C can be affected by alcohol in the following ways:

• Degradation: Alcohol can promote the degradation of vitamin C molecules, leading to a reduction in its potency and effectiveness.
  • Reduced Absorption: Excessive alcohol consumption may interfere with the absorption of vitamin C in the digestive system, reducing its bioavailability to the body.
  • Metabolic Impact: Alcohol metabolism can generate oxidative stress in the body, which may increase the body's demand for antioxidants like vitamin C. This can affect the overall balance of vitamin C in the body.

Q4: How Can I Preserve the Properties of Vitamin C When Consuming Alcohol?

If you want to ensure that you receive the benefits of vitamin C while consuming alcohol, consider the following tips:

• Moderation: Limit your alcohol consumption to moderate levels to minimize potential interference with vitamin C absorption and metabolism.
  • Varied Diet: Consume a balanced diet that includes a variety of fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C to ensure adequate intake.
  • Supplementation: If you are concerned about vitamin C intake, consider taking vitamin C supplements separately from alcohol consumption to maintain its effectiveness.
  • Consult a Healthcare Professional: If you have specific health concerns or dietary needs, consult a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian for personalized guidance.

Q5: Can I Mix Vitamin C Supplements with Alcohol?

It is generally safe to take vitamin C supplements with alcohol in moderation. However, high doses of alcohol should be avoided when taking supplements, as excessive alcohol consumption can have negative health effects.

In summary, while alcohol can interact with vitamin C and potentially affect its stability and absorption, moderate alcohol consumption is unlikely to significantly impair the beneficial properties of vitamin C. A balanced diet and responsible alcohol intake can help maintain your overall health and nutrition.