Register to reply

Can the alcohol destroy the property of vitamin C?

by scientist91
Tags: alcohol, destroy, property, vitamin
Share this thread:
scientist91
Jun13-07, 01:47 AM
P: 133
If I put some kind of alcohol, can it destroy the property of vitamin C?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
From dandruff to deep sea vents, an ecologically hyper-diverse fungus
jim mcnamara
Jun13-07, 10:13 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,382
If you are you asking:
If I drink alcohol and take a vitamin C tablet, will the ethyl alcohol somehow wreck the effects of vitamin C?

First off, vitamins "behave" much better in the presence of complex foods.
Secondly, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in large doses is a diuretic, and it also affects copper absorption, so it isn't necessarily all that beneficial in doses over say, several hundred mg. You need only ~60 mg/day - by the way.

But, alcohol does not "stop" vitamin C necessarily. If you read about this on a "health" website beware: they are trying to sell you something.
scientist91
Jun13-07, 12:33 PM
Quote Quote by jim mcnamara View Post
If you are you asking:
If I drink alcohol and take a vitamin C tablet, will the ethyl alcohol somehow wreck the effects of vitamin C?

First off, vitamins "behave" much better in the presence of complex foods.
Secondly, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in large doses is a diuretic, and it also affects copper absorption, so it isn't necessarily all that beneficial in doses over say, several hundred mg. You need only ~60 mg/day - by the way.

But, alcohol does not "stop" vitamin C necessarily. If you read about this on a "health" website beware: they are trying to sell you something.
Yes, that is my question. So, how much maximum milliliters alcohol and how much mg vitamin C will not destroy the vitamin C effect?

jim mcnamara
Jun13-07, 02:25 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,382
Can the alcohol destroy the property of vitamin C?

Are you looking for a cure for 'hangover' - post drinking sickness?

There isn't a prescription in ml of alcohol and mg of vitamin C. Plus, drinking 95% ethanol is a horrible idea, not to mention probably very painful. If you didn't vomit, drinking 1 liter of 95% ethanol in a few minutes would probably put you into a coma, and have little negative effect on the good effects of vitamin C, because you'd need medical help and/or die - depending on your body weight.

DO NOT DO THIS.
scientist91
Jun14-07, 01:20 AM
I read on another forum that the vitamin C in alcohol is very stable, so it can stay longer. Is it true?

Register to reply