Efficacy of sanitizers against SARS-CoV-2 based on alcohol content

In summary: The "denatured" alcohol is just ethanol that has been treated to make it harder to drink (i.e., it's not actually poisonous). "Isopropanol" is just ethanol, and 60% is the standard concentration.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Ethanol and 2-propanol (hereafter abbreviated "IPA") are the two alcohols that are used in hand-sanitizers. As per the standards set by WHO, the recommended levels are 80% (v/v) of ethanol and 75% (v/v) for IPA, along with other components like glycerol and hydrogen peroxide. Refer to the https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf for details (a pdf file). A snapshot:

1592559811488.png

None of the handrubs I have seen has the above composition. The ones that are preferred by hospitals have 70% (v/v) ethanol and 2.5% (v/v) chlorhexidine gluconate IP; these are not generally available in pharmacies for the common people.

1592560032833.png

Sanitizers produced by another famed brand has 72.43% (v/v) alcohol IP (denatured). My knowledge in chemistry is quite limited, but I thought denatured alcohol is poisonous; no idea how they are putting it in a sanitizer.

1592560139140.png

Question: Are these sanitizers with a lower percentage of alcohol effective against the SARS-CoV-2?

One website says that even 60% (v/v) of either of the two alcohols will work, but it did not site any sources and hence lacks credibility.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
Sanitizers produced by another famed brand has 72.43% (v/v) alcohol IP (denatured). My knowledge in chemistry is quite limited, but I thought denatured alcohol is poisonous; no idea how they are putting it in a sanitizer.
"Denatured alcohol" does not -as far as I know- have a "chemical" definition. Typically, it just means ethanol (the stuff you can drink) which has had some other chemicals added to it to discourage people from drinking it. What is is added depends on where you are in the world, but typically it will be something like methanol (which is indeed somewhat toxic if you get it on your skin) plus perhaps some other chemicals to induce vomiting and a dye.
In this context I doubt they use methanol, denatured here probably just means that somewhere in the production line something has been added to make the hand sanitiser harder to drink (which btw is something people do)

Last edited:
Likes Laroxe and Wrichik Basu
From the same WHO guidelines (a little further down):
The microbicidal activity of the two WHO-recommended formulations was tested by WHO reference laboratories according to EN standards (EN 1500). Their activity was found to be equivalent to the reference substance (isopropanol 60% v/v) for hygienic hand antisepsis.
70% ethanol is standard in most bio labs I’m familiar with.

Likes jim mcnamara and Wrichik Basu

1. What is the recommended alcohol content for sanitizers to be effective against SARS-CoV-2?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that hand sanitizers contain at least 60% alcohol to effectively kill viruses like SARS-CoV-2.

2. Can sanitizers with lower alcohol content still be effective against SARS-CoV-2?

While the recommended alcohol content for sanitizers is 60% or higher, some studies have shown that even sanitizers with lower alcohol content can still be effective against SARS-CoV-2. However, it is important to follow the CDC's recommendations for maximum effectiveness.

3. Are all types of alcohol equally effective against SARS-CoV-2?

No, not all types of alcohol are equally effective against SARS-CoV-2. The CDC recommends using alcohol-based hand sanitizers with ethanol, isopropanol, or a combination of the two as the active ingredients.

4. How long does a sanitizer with 60% alcohol need to be in contact with the virus to be effective?

Studies have shown that a sanitizer with 60% alcohol needs to be in contact with the virus for at least 30 seconds to effectively kill it. It is important to thoroughly rub the sanitizer on all surfaces of the hands for the recommended time for maximum effectiveness.

5. Can using hand sanitizers with high alcohol content be harmful to the skin?

Using hand sanitizers with high alcohol content can dry out the skin and cause irritation. It is important to use moisturizing hand sanitizers or to moisturize the hands regularly to prevent dryness and irritation.

Back