How to make a brick making machine ?

by zyhlo
Tags: brick, machine
Share this thread:
zyhlo
Jun26-07, 09:12 AM
P: 6
Hello Engineers,

Can anyone help me make a brick making machine ?

Does anyone have experience in these type of machines ?

HELP PLEASEEE!

Thanks.

Zeelo
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
zyhlo
Jun26-07, 09:19 AM
The machines i have seen have a vibrator which presses down the mixture into the mould then the mould releases the bricks into a board which is left outside to dry & harden.
berkeman
Jun26-07, 10:17 AM
Mentor
P: 40,652
What research have you done so far? I did a quick search on wikipedia.org, and they have a pretty helpful background page on bricks and brick making:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick

I also did a google search on "brick making machine", and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list for you to look through:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ing+machine%22

That first non-ad hit about a video of a brick pressing machine might be what you are looking for, no?

http://www.earthuprising.com/machine.htm

zyhlo
Jun26-07, 01:41 PM
How to make a brick making machine ?

The problem is that the machines are too expensive.

The machines major process is the vibrater process & the mould, is it possible to make each component separately & build the machine complete.

Please let me know.
Danger
Jun26-07, 02:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Just how many bricks do you plan on making, and more importantly, how many at one time? That makes a huge difference to how it would be approached.
Plastic Photon
Jun26-07, 09:22 PM
P: 166
You say these machines are too expensive and that you need a vibrator for mixing and a moulder for the end result. Motel 6 has vibrating beds and you can maybe find a mould at some kind of fabric/hobby center.

Is this a school project or an independent business?
zyhlo
Jun27-07, 04:32 AM
I have contacted some chinese manufacturers but the prices for these machines are too high. His videos on using the machine are in this link:

http://www.youku.com/v_playlist/f273938o9p1.html

This is a home business for me. The small machines usually make 15000 bricks per 8 hours & 10 - 20 prices per mould press.

Please have a look at the videos & let me know if i can build a machine like this.

Thanks, you guys are a great help.
Danger
Jun27-07, 09:25 AM
PF Gold
I can't possibly check out all of those videos now, but from the one I did look at it seems like a pretty simple process. The cyclic limit would appear to be based upon how long the bricks have to cure under pressure rather than any mechanical constraint. Presumeably, that would in turn be based upon the moisture content of your mix.
I have a couple of ideas, but will wait until I get to work before digging into them.

edit: Okay, I've checked them out. I assume that you want an automatic or semi-automatic unit that won't leave crap all over the floor or make you fill and empty the moulds manually (such as the yellow units in the clips). You can definitely build one (or have one built for you), but I don't know that it would be any cheaper than buying a used one. Although I don't recommend it, I think that you could replace the hydraulics with a good strong electric motor and a bunch of cam pieces. That would probably save a few bucks, but would be an inferior design. What kind of building budget do you have in mind?
zyhlo
Jun28-07, 04:20 AM
Hi Danger, my budget is $1000 USD, would that be enough?

Could you pretty please give me a list of the material that i need so i could do research, i would really appreciate that!

Thanks.
Danger
Jun28-07, 09:44 AM
PF Gold
You can't really estimate what material you need until a design is at least semi-finalized. The type of material that you need will start with channel or box steel for the structural bits (at least 1/4" wall thickness) and 3/8 - 1/4" flat mild steel for linkages and brackets.
There'll also be wire, switches and connectors for an electrical unit, or all of the hydraulic lines, fittings, and such for that type of power, along with misc. nuts and bolts.
Then there are the tools that you will need to buy or rent, such as a welder, chop saw, etc..
Whether or not your budget will be adequate will really depend upon your shopping skills. A local scrap yard or auto wrecker will probably sell you used steel for a reasonable price. Even a manufacturing outfit might, since they get it pretty cheaply in bulk.
I'm once again in the position of trying to respond while getting ready for work, so I'll have to leave any 'figgering' until later.
By the bye, how much pressure does it have to exert in the mould?
zyhlo
Jun29-07, 01:45 AM
Hi Danger, thanks for the reply. Lucky me i have friends in many places :)

The pressure will be around 50 Bars, each brick should be at least 25 Bar strong. I do not mind building it on my own, what is the list of items that i need?

You have been a great help! thanks alot!
Danger
Jun29-07, 01:18 PM
PF Gold
Again, you can't have a list of materials until you have the design. Do you want to make one exactly like those in the videos? If so, which model? I can see you getting very sore very quickly if you choose to do the loading and unloading manually. There is again the question of electric or hydraulic (or some combination thereof).
jim mcnamara
Jun29-07, 02:32 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,379
If affording the machine is a problem, how can you afford a kiln? Or to operate one?

Green brick isn't very maketable, except for adobes.
Danger
Jun29-07, 10:48 PM
PF Gold
Well, there's something that I never thought of. A small amount of money, however, could be saved by incorporating the moulding machine and the kiln into one unit.
In any case, there will have to be some really serious scavenging/bartering/borrowing skill involved to get even the moulder done on budget. I would seriously recommend taking out a small-business or personal loan for another grand, if possible.
Another material source that should be checked is bankruptcy or other industrial auctions. Things like hydraulic and electrical equipment, conveyor systems, heating units, structural steel, etc. can sometimes be had for ridiculously low prices. Some necessary tools might also turn up at one.
Again, though, I need Zyhlo to tell me what he wants for a design. It's impossible to even begin figuring out what's needed until I know what sort of machine he wants and what tools he already has available.
FredGarvin
Jun30-07, 05:42 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
How, exactly, do you plan on getting 50 bar pressure out of something that is less than a grand? The hydraulics press alone will be around that for a very small unit.

If this is a home business, you need to treat this like a business. Your capital expenditure for your equipment is the number one cost. The quality of the product will depend on it. Don't take short cuts. If you do, what do you think will be the end result as far as product quality is concerned?

Good point, Jim.
kaukerr
Mar19-08, 10:43 AM
P: 3
Was any one able to design a brick making machine.
Danger
Mar19-08, 12:51 PM
PF Gold
I don't know; I quit thinking about it after zyhlo failed to reappear. It would seem that he gave up after realizing what it would cost.
kaukerr
Mar19-08, 01:00 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
I don't know; I quit thinking about it after zylo failed to reappear. It would seem that he gave up after realizing what it would cost.
I want to pursue this. Can you help ?

Register to reply