How much force is required to excite a vibrating machine with a load?

In summary, the formula used to calculate how much force is required to excite a vibrating machine is based on Newton's second law and the acceleration of simple harmonic motion. If there is little material load relative to machine mass, then the force will be based on the machine weight only.
slobberingant
TL;DR Summary
Need help understanding a vibrating force formula that was given to me at work.
I have been given a formula at work to use for calculating how much force is required to excite a vibrating machine with load. Only a proportion of material load on a vibrating machine is considered.

The formula is
F = 2*S / (K*M)
Where:
S = stroke (mm)
K = (140/w)^2
w = angular velocity (rad/s)
M = (M1 + (M1 + M2)) / (M1 * (M1 + M2)) (1/kg)
M1 = machine weight (kg)
M2 = material weight (kg)

I've manage to derive that the formula is based on Newton's second law and the acceleration of simple harmonic motion.
F = ma
a = Aw^2 - simple harmonic acceleration formula
Where:
A = amplitude (mm) => Stroke = 2*A

Therefore
F = mAw^2

My formula above is different in the following ways.
- w^2 ((rad/s)^2) becomes K - (140/w)^2 (1/((rad/s)^2)) but is divided rather than multiplied.
- m (kg) becomes M (1/kg) and is also divided rather than multiplied.

What does the M variable in my formula above do? - It seems like a ratio between machine and material mass. However, in isolation, the values it produces can be lower than the machine weight which would result in incorrect force values.

Where does the 140 constant in K come from?

Engineering news on Phys.org
slobberingant said:
- w^2 ((rad/s)^2) becomes K - (140/w)^2 (1/((rad/s)^2)) but is divided rather than multiplied.
No. w^2 becomes 1/K

slobberingant said:
- m (kg) becomes M (1/kg) and is also divided rather than multiplied.
No. m becomes 1/M

slobberingant said:
What does the M variable in my formula above do? - It seems like a ratio between machine and material mass. However, in isolation, the values it produces can be lower than the machine weight which would result in incorrect force values.
Actually, if M1 >> M2, then 1/M tends toward 0.5*M1, which multiplied by the 2 in the equation really gives F = M1 * [acceleration].

If M2 >> M1, then 1/M tends toward M1, which gives F = 2 * M1 * [acceleration]. I'm not sure what it means though.

slobberingant said:
Where does the 140 constant in K come from?
Not sure, but I think it might have to do with some pre-calculated damping for the machine.

More info: https://www.brown.edu/Departments/E...Notes/vibrations_forced/vibrations_forced.htm

Thanks Jack.
Fantastic insight.
Regarding M, if there is little load relative to mass then use the mass of machine only. This makes sense as larger machines are less effected by material load. This logic works with M2 >> M1. This approach helps greatly.
I will do some more reading on damping.
Thank you.

1. How is force related to the excitation of a vibrating machine with a load?

The amount of force required to excite a vibrating machine with a load is directly proportional to the mass of the load and the frequency of the vibration. This means that as the mass of the load or the frequency of the vibration increases, the force required to excite the machine will also increase.

2. What factors influence the amount of force needed to excite a vibrating machine?

Aside from the mass and frequency, other factors that can affect the amount of force required to excite a vibrating machine with a load include the stiffness of the machine, the amplitude of the vibration, and the damping characteristics of the machine.

3. How can the force required to excite a vibrating machine be calculated?

The force required to excite a vibrating machine can be calculated using the equation F = mω²x, where F is the force, m is the mass of the load, ω is the frequency of the vibration, and x is the amplitude of the vibration.

4. Is there a minimum amount of force needed to excite a vibrating machine?

Yes, there is a minimum amount of force needed to excite a vibrating machine. This is known as the resonance frequency, where the natural frequency of the machine matches the frequency of the external force, resulting in a significant increase in the amplitude of the vibration.

5. How can the force required to excite a vibrating machine be controlled?

The force required to excite a vibrating machine can be controlled by adjusting the frequency and amplitude of the vibration, as well as the stiffness and damping characteristics of the machine. Additionally, using a counterweight or adding mass to the machine can also help control the force required for excitation.