Supporting structures used in machines/production lines

olii245
TL;DR Summary
I am a mechanical engineering hobbyist. By now I'm designing some small production line in which I'm gonna include a robotic station. In general, heavy robotic arm is gonna be suspended on a beam that moves in one direction along the rails.
I'd like to calculate the whole structure including welded beams and then calculate rails and the beam used for suspend a robotic arm. The problem is I've no idea how could I start.

I was trying to find some training materials (mainly books) on this topic (design of supporting structures for machines) but I only found books for Civil Engineers.

So I have a few questions for you:
Do you know some books/articles/YT materials/etc.. where I'll find information about
- how to design and calculate supporting structures for machine applyings
- FEA analysis of such supporting structures
- type of sections and their applyings (when to use I-beam, channel section, rectengular section, etc..)

If you have some more tips for me I'll be very grateful.
Thank you in advance for every reply!

Engineering news on Phys.org
olii245 said:
- how to design and calculate supporting structures for machine applyings
There are many ways of solving the problem. The wisdom is something learned by experience in the industry.

There are fashions of machine support that come and go, like motor vehicle styles.

For a single small unit, it is better to build something quickly and get it working. The cost of the extra materials, needed to be sure, will be less than the extra design time. If something is wobbly, improve the design and fix it.

Perfection is the enemy of progress.

Likes olii245 and jrmichler
Baluncore said:
There are many ways of solving the problem. The wisdom is something learned by experience in the industry.

There are fashions of machine support that come and go, like motor vehicle styles.

For a single small unit, it is better to build something quickly and get it working. The cost of the extra materials, needed to be sure, will be less than the extra design time. If something is wobbly, improve the design and fix it.

Perfection is the enemy of progress.
Thank you for your answer, Baluncore!

That's a shame because I came up with this project specifically to learn about calculations and analysis of supporting structures :/ Maybe I should try with something more difficult but still related to mechanical concept like crane trusses? But still I don't know where could I learn about FEA and basic calculations

olii245 said:
Maybe I should try with something more difficult but still related to mechanical concept like crane trusses? But still I don't know where could I learn about FEA and basic calculations
In the real world, you cannot calculate a design from 0% to 100%. You must start with a conceptual design, then apply successive refinements.

When a part fails in some way, refine that component by calculating the structure needed to satisfy the requirements at the lowest cost and complexity. Refine your specifications as necessary.

If a part is too heavy and never fails, reduce the weight in the next incarnation, until it almost fails. That is a safe way to reduce the cost of materials and shipping.

With time, your initial concept and the specifications will evolve together into a reliable structure that can be manufactured and sold competitively. By then, you will understand the constraints, and have numerical models of all the major components.

You must design and build the third best now, to get it working. Second best will be the next model, with some refinements to the design. First best is perfect, impossible, and can never be.

Likes olii245 and Lnewqban
Try looking at machine element references. If they are too advanced you will need to look at mechanics texts (statics, dynamics, materials). For FEA, it is probably better to look into training on the code you have access to. You will need the mechanics for this also.

Likes olii245
Frabjous said:
Try looking at machine element references. If they are too advanced you will need to look at mechanics texts (statics, dynamics, materials). For FEA, it is probably better to look into training on the code you have access to. You will need the mechanics for this also.
Thank you, Frabjous, for your answer!

Yeah, I know this stuff (statics, kinematics, dynamics, materials) a bit. I mean I can calculate simple cases like bending beam or beam in tension, compression or shear. The problem is sometimes I dunno how to apply this knowledge to realistic projects. Let's say I'd like to calculate one of my rail which is a C-profile like on the following figure
1692358219835.png

the beam can move along the C-profile, F=1500N. So I guess for C-profile I should calculate:
- bending stresses for bottom wall of the C-profile (the torsion/bending moment around the Y axis), and this is simple because this is gonna be const regardless of actual location of the beam
- weld strength (C-profile is fixed by welding on its ends) - and this also seems to be quite simple but specific result will depend on actual beam location, so I don't know which location choose to calculate max stresses (maybe center location?)
- bending stresses for entire C-profile (the torsion/bending moment around the X axis), but again, specific result will depend on actual beam location .

All of the calculations in this project I make to determine max stresses and based on that choose the correct C-profile type (in this project I assume that I don't have any C-profile to use and need to choose and buy the correct one)
So Is it right for this case?

Last edited:
olii245 said:
The problem is sometimes I dunno how to apply this knowledge to realistic projects. Let's say I'd like to calculate one of my rail which is a C-profile like on the following figure
A floppy structure, with minimum cost and weight, can be rigid in the dimensions that are critical. For the rail, consider:
1. A closed section rail (torque tube) to prevent axial twist;
2. Having the bridge beam run on the rail at the centre of rail twist, so any twist of the rail does not result in a change in the x or z of the bridge beam end, and vice versa, reduces twist;
3. Having the bridge beam ends, constrain the rail rotation by running on two edges or corners, not on one flat;
4. More than one of the above, but keep one degree of freedom flexible, so accuracy of construction is not over-constrained.

Be very aware of real world constraints. There was the time, very early in my engineering career, when I proudly designed a frame to support a machine that weighed about a ton. The support frame was about four feet high. I carefully calculated the support columns, even doing Euler buckling calculations. Then a millwright rather bluntly pointed out that this frame was next to an aisle, and that we could expect a forklift truck to bump into one of the support columns. The real design constraint was to survive a collision with a 10,000 lb truck, not merely supporting 2,000 lbs of machine.

olii245 said:
But still I don't know where could I learn about FEA and basic calculations
It's best to stay away from FEA until you fully understand the basic calculations. You need to understand the basic calculations in order to check the FEA results. Machine frames are normally simple enough that FEA is not needed.

I suggest getting copy of the AISC Steel Construction Manual. You do not need the latest edition for your needs, a used copy of an older edition is plenty good enough.

Likes DeBangis21, nsaspook and russ_watters
If "hobbyist" means you have no formal engineering training, I'd start with an Engineering Statics textbook.

jrmichler said:
Be very aware of real world constraints. There was the time, very early in my engineering career, when I proudly designed a frame to support a machine that weighed about a ton. The support frame was about four feet high. I carefully calculated the support columns, even doing Euler buckling calculations. Then a millwright rather bluntly pointed out that this frame was next to an aisle, and that we could expect a forklift truck to bump into one of the support columns. The real design constraint was to survive a collision with a 10,000 lb truck, not merely supporting 2,000 lbs of machine.
This is sound advice. I remember a similar epiphany, when I discovered bent instrument tubing (3/8 stainless tube) out in the plant. Bubba the 260 pound maintenance guy had been using the tubing runs as a ladder to reach a valve in the overhead.

• Haha
Likes Juanda
jrmichler said:

gmax137 said:
This is sound advice. I remember a similar epiphany, when I discovered bent instrument tubing (3/8 stainless tube) out in the plant. Bubba the 260 pound maintenance guy had been using the tubing runs as a ladder to reach a valve in the overhead.

These couple of messages reminded me of this video with a fun and illustrative anecdote talking about a similar concept.
I consider the whole video to be interesting although the anecdote itself is from 13:00 to 14:00 more or less.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
Juanda said:
These couple of messages reminded me of this video with a fun and illustrative anecdote talking about a similar concept.
I consider the whole video to be interesting although the anecdote itself is from 13:00 to 14:00 more or less.
Thanks for the link, I haven't seen his videos before. I watched a couple just now, pretty good stuff for engineers / designers / makers.

And I liked his anecdote, a good approach to keep in mind!

Likes Juanda
olii245 said:
...If you have some more tips for me I'll be very grateful.
Welcome!

Study practical solutions that have been optimized after years of experimentation.
Every element of such structures has a reason to be.

https://www.midasstructure.com/blog/en/blog/crane-girder

Draw your particular situation as close to scale as possible.
That will give you a perspective of where supports, reinforcements, gussets and joints are needed.

Overhead_Crane_Components.jpg

4_cell_system.jpg

Likes berkeman

1. What are the main types of supporting structures used in machines/production lines?

The main types of supporting structures used in machines/production lines include frames, bases, columns, beams, and trusses. Frames are rigid structures that provide support and stability to machines and production lines. Bases are flat structures that provide a stable foundation for machines. Columns are vertical structures that provide support and stability to the upper parts of machines. Beams are horizontal structures that support the weight of machines and their components. Trusses are triangular structures that provide strength and stability to machines and production lines.

2. How do supporting structures contribute to the efficiency of machines/production lines?

Supporting structures play a crucial role in the efficiency of machines and production lines. They provide stability and rigidity to the machines, allowing them to function smoothly without any unnecessary movements or vibrations. This results in improved accuracy and precision in the production process. Additionally, supporting structures also help distribute the weight of the machines evenly, preventing any strain on individual components and prolonging their lifespan.

3. What materials are commonly used in supporting structures for machines/production lines?

The choice of materials for supporting structures depends on various factors such as the type of machine, load-bearing capacity, and environmental conditions. However, some commonly used materials include steel, aluminum, and composite materials. Steel is strong and durable, making it suitable for heavy-duty machines. Aluminum is lightweight and corrosion-resistant, making it ideal for machines that require frequent movements. Composite materials, such as carbon fiber, offer a high strength-to-weight ratio and are often used in high-performance machines.

4. How important is the design of supporting structures in machines/production lines?

The design of supporting structures is crucial in ensuring the overall functionality and safety of machines and production lines. A well-designed structure should be able to withstand the weight and forces exerted by the machines, as well as any external factors such as vibrations or environmental conditions. It should also consider factors such as ease of maintenance and accessibility for repairs. A poorly designed structure can lead to inefficiency, malfunctions, and even accidents.

5. Can supporting structures be modified or upgraded for different machines/production lines?

Yes, supporting structures can be modified or upgraded to accommodate different machines or production lines. However, it is important to ensure that the structure can handle the weight and forces of the new machine and that any modifications do not compromise the integrity and stability of the structure. It is also essential to consult with a structural engineer to ensure that the modifications are safe and comply with any relevant regulations or standards.