Phototransistor vs photodiode ?

• Thread starter TechSpec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photodiode
In summary, using a phototransistor as the detector in place of a PIN photodiode would work, as the biasing is different. However, you would need to build an amplifier circuit to increase the output.
TechSpec
HI all,

i'm currently working with IR sensor diodes, and trying to find a proper device for my project, however i haven't found a good unit which fills my needs. Now that i have extended my search to phototransistors, i wonder are they compatible with photodiodes?

Im using Atmel's IR-amplifier IC and the datasheet only suggest of using photodiodes, as the IC have only 2 input pins for diode. But can i also use phototransistors?, they have 3 pins, so how should i connect them to device which only have two input pins for diode?

Im thinking that, if the IR light represents as a base control "current" then i should use collector-emitter to be as a anode-kathode in diode, am i right?

TechSpec

Engineering news on Phys.org
What IR source are you wanting to detect, and at what distance? What is the bandwidth of the modulation of the IR source?

PIN photodiodes are best for fast IR signals. You reverse bias them at several volts, and use an opamp circuit to convert the photocurrent to an output voltage. Phototransitors are slower to respond -- the photocurrent acts as base current into an NPN transistor. So you connect a phototransistor up with a grounded base and an collector resistor to the + supply rail, and use the collector voltage as the output. The advantage of the phototransistor is that you get the gain of the transistor, so you get more output response for the same input IR level, as compared to the PIN photodiode.

Does that help?

Actually, i skipped OP-circuits because some manufacturers offer ready made, highly developed amplifiers in one chip, like for example Atmel, those have built-in interference filter circuits and such as AGC(auto gain control) and ATC (auto strong signal adaptation) to be a complete amp unit, its tuff task to produce such a thing with discretes...

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4905.pdf

I'm thinking that since they have connected the diode internally to their amplifier, connecting a phototransistor would not work at all because of a different biasing etc.

My IR source is a 850nm 50mW LED and the detector is Pi detector at 850nm.
Emitter will emit 0.5ms bursts of 38kHz square at 50% ratio.
System uses optics so the distance will be >30m, and because the photodetector does not have daylight blocker, i will use IR-bandpass filter behind the optics to do the job.

TechSpec

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, from a quick look at the datasheet, it looks like it is made for a PIN photodiode. The biasing for a phototransistor would be different. Sounds like a fun project!

What is the difference between a phototransistor and a photodiode?

A phototransistor and a photodiode are both types of semiconductor devices that are used to detect light. The main difference between them is that a phototransistor is a type of transistor that amplifies the current produced by light, while a photodiode is a type of diode that converts light into a current.

Which one is more sensitive to light, a phototransistor or a photodiode?

A phototransistor is generally more sensitive to light than a photodiode. This is because the phototransistor has a larger active area for light to enter, allowing it to detect even small amounts of light. However, the sensitivity of both devices can also depend on other factors such as the material used and the wavelength of the light.

Can a phototransistor be used as a switch like a photodiode?

Yes, a phototransistor can be used as a switch just like a photodiode. In fact, phototransistors are often used as light-sensitive switches in applications such as automatic lighting and object detection. However, phototransistors are generally more complex to use as switches compared to photodiodes due to their amplifying function.

Which one is faster, a phototransistor or a photodiode?

A phototransistor is usually faster than a photodiode in terms of response time. This is because the amplifying function of the phototransistor allows it to produce a larger output signal in a shorter amount of time. However, the response time of both devices can also depend on other factors such as the circuit design and the amount of light being detected.

What are the main applications of phototransistors and photodiodes?

Both phototransistors and photodiodes have a wide range of applications in various industries. Some common uses of phototransistors include light sensors in electronic devices, optical communication, and barcode readers. Photodiodes, on the other hand, are often used in solar panels, cameras, and optical switches.