Quadrant photodiode selection advice

• Thread starter Doc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photodiode
In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of an appropriate quadrant photodiode for a laser beam centering application. The process involves determining the amount of power likely to be incident on the photodiode, calculating the saturation power and minimum detectable power for different photodiodes, and considering the signal to noise ratio. The conversation also discusses issues with calculating these values and potential scenarios for different power levels.
Doc
Hi all,

I have a post related to this question over in the 'general engineering' forum located here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/beam-centering-using-a-photodiode.926814/#post-5854037

However, my question is a little more specific hence the new thread.

I need to select an appropriate quadrant photodiode for a laser beam centering application. I am a mechanical engineer with almost no electronics experience so I would very much appreciate some guidance/feedback.

I would like to make a list of different photodiodes and then select the most appropriate from that list. The laser will operate at two separate power levels: 20 W operationally, and 1 mW for alignment purposes. This is what I think I need to do:
  1. Determine the amount of power likely to be incident on the photodiode.
  2. Calculate the saturation power of different photodiodes. If the incident power > saturation power I will need to place an ND filter before the photodiode. The saturation power is basically the upper limit of what the photodiode can tolerate before its output becomes non-linear.
  3. Calculate the minimum detectable power for different photodiodes. This is the noise floor?
  4. Calculate the signal to noise ratio (SNR) for different photodiodes.
I have been using some resources to try to get this done including:
https://www.hamamatsu.com/resources/pdf/ssd/e02_handbook_si_photodiode.pdf
http://www.hamamatsu.com/jp/en/community/optical_sensors/articles/wits/index.html

But I'm getting a bit confused with a few different things.

Number 1. is fine, I have done that.

Number 2. I am having trouble with. I have an equation from one of my resources:
Psat = (VB + VR) / (RS + RL

The datasheet I am looking at is at the link below:
(https://www.hamamatsu.com/resources/pdf/ssd/s5980_etc_kpin1012e.pdf)

Where:
VB is the bias voltage or contact voltage. Apparently this is 0.2 to 0.3 Volts though the guide doesn't specify where this number comes from.
VR is the reverse voltage, found on the datasheet. Although, the datasheet can specify the maximum reverse voltage, but also lists other values for reverse voltage when specifying other quantities i.e. dark current is 0.3 nA when the reverse voltage is 10 V. Which one do I use?
RS is the series resistance. I don't know where this comes from, nor does it seem to be on any datasheet I have seen.
RL is the load resistance. 50 Ohms.
σ is the photodetector photosensivity, I have this from the datasheet.

I have tried calculating this and I get something like 0.5 W (that seems really high?), when the guides seem to say that saturation power of a typical photodiode is around 10 mW.

Number 3. I am also having issues with. The equation I am using is:
Pmin = NEP×√B

Where:
NEP is the noise equivalent power. I have this from the datasheet.
B is the bandwidth. This I am really confused about and have no idea what to use. I assume that a greater bandwidth implies a more sensitive detector?

I think number 4. is okay.

One other thing I am wondering about is the two different power levels. I could have a couple of different scenarios here:
a. The incident power of both power modes is < saturation power of the diode. That is fine, no ND filter is needed. Will I need to amplify the signal (current output from the photodiode)? How would I even know if I needed to amplify the signal?
b. The incident power of the high power mode is > saturation power of the diode, but the low power mode is < saturation power of the diode. I will need an ND filter to protect the photodiode in high power mode, but will this make the signal too weak in low power mode? I am assuming that any amplification is done in electronics and cannot be activated/deactivated in-situ? If there is an amplification electronics stage to amplify the low power signal, then the high power signal will also be amplified? Is that a problem?

Okay I think I'll leave it there. I know that I have asked a LOT in this post, but any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Doc

Engineering news on Phys.org
I replied to your other thread.
We need an accurate plot of intensity across the beam, with the aperture shown.

1. What is a quadrant photodiode and how does it differ from a regular photodiode?

A quadrant photodiode is a type of photodiode that is divided into four sections, each with its own output. This allows for the detection and measurement of the position of a light source, rather than just the intensity. Regular photodiodes only have one output and measure the intensity of light.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting a quadrant photodiode?

There are several factors to consider when selecting a quadrant photodiode, including the size and sensitivity of the active area, the wavelength range of light it can detect, the noise level, and the speed of response. It is also important to consider the desired application and the required accuracy and resolution.

3. How do I determine the size of the active area needed for my application?

The size of the active area needed depends on the size of the light source being measured and the desired resolution. Generally, a larger active area will provide better resolution for larger light sources, while a smaller active area will be more suitable for smaller light sources. It is important to consider the size and position of the light source in relation to the photodiode when selecting the size of the active area.

4. Can a quadrant photodiode be used for both position and intensity measurements?

Yes, a quadrant photodiode can be used for both position and intensity measurements. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the position measurement may be affected by the intensity of the light source. It is recommended to use a separate photodiode for intensity measurements if accuracy is a priority.

5. Are there any environmental factors I should consider when selecting a quadrant photodiode?

Yes, environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and ambient light can affect the performance of a quadrant photodiode. It is important to select a photodiode with a suitable operating temperature range and consider the effects of ambient light on the accuracy of position measurements.