Calculate collector current of phototransistor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the collector current of a phototransistor paired with an IR Led. The irradiance at the phototransistor can be calculated based on the radiant intensity of the Led using a simple formula or by considering the radiant sensitive area. The relationship between current and irradiance is assumed to be linear. The range of values for photocurrent is typically the same as the collector current without the need to multiply by hfe. The resistor does have an effect on the collector current, but it can be managed with an op-amp in the feedback circuit.
yoamocuy
Hello,

I'm wondering if it is possible to calculate current the collector current of a phototransistor that is paired with an IR Led? I have an IR Led that is 13.6 cm away from the phototransistor and has a radiant intensity of between 65 mw/sr and 125 mw/sr. The phototransistor that I'm using is SFH 3015 FA. It's photocurrent could range anywhere from 160 uA to 800 uA at an irradiance of 0.1 mW/cm^2 and VCE=5V. The phototransistor also has a radiant sensitive area of 0.4 mm^2. I would have a resistor of 1.6kohm from emitter to ground.

I believe that irradiance at the phototransistor can be calculated based on the radiant intensity of the Led but I'm not sure if it would just be a simple radiant intensity/distance^2 or if I need to consider the radiant sensitive area as well? Also, the irradiance that I calculate at the phototransistor will not be 0.1 mW/cm^2. Can I assume a linear relationship between current and irradiance? When I have a range of values for the photocurrent, are those values typically the same as collector current? I would assume that I need to multiply that value by hfe of the phototransistor to get collector current but if that's the case it seems that the phototransistor datasheet is fairly useless since no typical hfe is given. Lastly, does my resistor have any effect on the collector current? Ultimately I will be in the active region of the DC load line so can I assume that the resistance has a negligible effect?

Engineering news on Phys.org
yoamocuy said:
I believe that irradiance at the phototransistor can be calculated based on the radiant intensity of the Led but I'm not sure if it would just be a simple radiant intensity/distance^2 or if I need to consider the radiant sensitive area as well?
If the sensitive area remains the same then you can keep things proportional to r2.
To calculate a collector current factor, divide the "sensitive area" by the "surface area of a sphere" having a radius of r. That will handle the r2 for you.

yoamocuy said:
Also, the irradiance that I calculate at the phototransistor will not be 0.1 mW/cm^2. Can I assume a linear relationship between current and irradiance?
Probably yes.

yoamocuy said:
When I have a range of values for the photocurrent, are those values typically the same as collector current?
I believe so.

yoamocuy said:
I would assume that I need to multiply that value by hfe of the phototransistor to get collector current but if that's the case it seems that the phototransistor datasheet is fairly useless since no typical hfe is given.
You do not have to multiply by hfe. Any hfe proportional effect has been included in the data.

yoamocuy said:
Lastly, does my resistor have any effect on the collector current? Ultimately I will be in the active region of the DC load line so can I assume that the resistance has a negligible effect?
The effect will not be negligible, which is why an op-amp is used with the I to V resistor in the feedback circuit. That clamps the collector voltage.
See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transimpedance_amplifier

1. How do you determine the collector current of a phototransistor?

To calculate the collector current of a phototransistor, you will need to know the base current, the current gain of the transistor, and the incident light intensity. The collector current can be calculated using the formula: Collector Current = Base Current x Current Gain x Incident Light Intensity.

2. What is the current gain of a phototransistor?

The current gain of a phototransistor is a measure of how much the collector current changes in response to changes in the base current. It is typically denoted as "β" and can range from 50 to 300 for phototransistors.

3. How does the incident light intensity affect the collector current of a phototransistor?

The incident light intensity is directly proportional to the collector current of a phototransistor. This means that as the incident light intensity increases, the collector current will also increase. Similarly, a decrease in incident light intensity will result in a decrease in collector current.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated collector current of a phototransistor?

The accuracy of the calculated collector current can be affected by several factors such as the quality of the phototransistor, the stability of the incident light source, and external factors that may interfere with the measurement. It is important to take these factors into consideration when performing calculations for accurate results.

5. Can the collector current of a phototransistor be measured directly?

No, the collector current of a phototransistor cannot be measured directly. It can only be calculated using the formula mentioned above. However, the base and collector currents can be measured using appropriate equipment such as a multimeter.