Simple photodiode connected to lock-in amplifier

In summary: The phase shift between the A.O. modulator control signal and the reflected microwave amplitude is something that you would want to measure.
baptiste
Hello.

I am currently modifying a semiconductor experiment. A laser beam is modulated with an acousto-optical modulator and illuminate the semiconductor sample. The sample is probed by microwaves. The reflected microwave signal go through a demodulator, and then in a lock-in amplifier. Then I am studying the phase shift between the A.O. modulator control signal and the reflected microwave amplitude.

My problem is presently to calibrate the system by measuring the phase shift introduced by the acousto-optical moculator.

My idea is to deviate a part of the modulated laser beam, to send it to a fast photodiode, and to inject the diode photocurrent into the current imput of the lock-in amplifier.

Do you think that this idea is good?
I am fearing some problems with the imput impedance of the lock-in amplifier or something like that...

Sincerely

Baptiste

Engineering news on Phys.org
As from a third person perspective, you approach is good. This falls into control engineering problem, if am right. For this, a negative feedback is needed.
Input impedance of lock in-amplifier may be considered. But, since you are experimenting, find the transfer function of open system(without acousto-optical modulator feedback signal). Figure in both input and required output of the system...Usually for control engineering problems, the neceassy condition is difference between output and input,..ie...error is zero.
I would like you to look at something like phase locked loop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-locked_loop:

Dear Alpharup

Thank a lot for your answer.
I had a look to the wikipedia article.
However, I still don't understand fully your advices.
Presently, I have no feedback from the acousto optical modulator, but I would like to build one (with a photodiode), which should mesure the phase shift introduced by the modulator (compared to the signal going out of the frequency générator, which control the modulator)
What is according to you the open system that I should measure?

I am in contact with a fast photodiode supplier, maybe they will give me tips about the way to use it.

Sincerely

baptiste said:
Dear Alpharup

What is according to you the open system that I should measure?Sincerely
A laser beam is modulated with an acousto-optical modulator and illuminate the semiconductor sample. The sample is probed by microwaves. The reflected microwave signal go through a demodulator, and then in a lock-in amplifier.
The input here is the electrical signal fed as input to the acoust-optical modulator. I do presume that electrical signals(going to acuoto-optical modulator) control the manner in which incoming laser is modulated.
The output here is the electrical output from the lock in amplifier.
You have both input and output for the system. This, I would assume as open system.

1. What is a simple photodiode connected to a lock-in amplifier?

A simple photodiode connected to a lock-in amplifier is a setup commonly used in scientific research to measure small changes in light intensity. The photodiode converts light into an electrical current, which is then amplified and demodulated by the lock-in amplifier to extract a signal from background noise.

2. How does a photodiode work?

A photodiode is a semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. It contains a p-n junction, where photons of light create electron-hole pairs. The created electrons and holes are then separated by the electric field within the diode, generating a current proportional to the incident light intensity.

3. What is the purpose of using a lock-in amplifier with a photodiode?

The lock-in amplifier is used to extract a signal from a noisy background. It does this by demodulating the signal at a specific frequency, amplifying it, and filtering out any noise at other frequencies. This allows for precise measurement of small changes in light intensity, which is useful in a variety of scientific experiments.

4. What are some common applications of a photodiode connected to a lock-in amplifier?

This setup is commonly used in experiments involving low light levels, such as fluorescence spectroscopy, atomic force microscopy, and optical coherence tomography. It is also used in studies of fast transient events, such as in laser experiments or materials research.

5. How can I optimize the performance of a photodiode connected to a lock-in amplifier?

To optimize the performance of this setup, it is important to reduce any sources of noise, such as ambient light or electronic interference. This can be achieved by shielding the setup, using a low-noise amplifier, and minimizing any electrical connections. Additionally, using a lock-in amplifier with a high signal-to-noise ratio and carefully selecting the modulation frequency can improve the sensitivity and accuracy of the measurements.