Zwiebach, pages 175,176

by Jimmy Snyder
Tags: pages, zwiebach
Jimmy Snyder
Sep27-07, 06:01 PM
P: 2,163
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Equation (10.58) is:
[tex]\phi(t, \vec{x}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}\Sigma_{\vec{p}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_p}}(a_{p}e^{-iE_pt + i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}} + a_p^{\dagger}e^{iE_pt - i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
Here is equation (10.57)
[tex]\phi_{p}(t, \vec{x}) =\frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_p}}(a_{p}e^{-iE_pt + i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}} + a_p^{\dagger}e^{iE_pt - i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}})[/tex]
[tex]+\frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_p}}(a_{-p}e^{-iE_pt - i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}} + a_{-p}^{\dagger}e^{iE_pt + i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
The idea is that the second term on the r.h.s. of (10.57) is the same as the first term evaluated for [itex]\vec{p} = -\vec{p}[/itex], which does not effect [itex]E_p[/itex]. Then (10.58) is supposed to be the sum of (10.57) over all values of [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]. My problem is that I think there is a factor of 2 missing on the r.h.s. of (10.58) because each of the terms in (10.57) should appear twice in the sum. What am I missing? The same problem arises on page 176 for equations (10.60) and (10.61) which are sums of (10.55) and (10.56) respectively.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
ehrenfest
Oct7-07, 12:23 AM
P: 1,998
You're argument makes sense, but I don't understand it well enough to say conclusively. 10.57 could be the equation for both p and -p, but again I am not sure.

I'll post back if this becomes clear to me.

I do think 10.63 and 10.64 are wrong if 10.60 and 10.61 are correct, however. Where does the commutator come from if both equations sum over all possible values of a their vector index?
Jimmy Snyder
Oct7-07, 05:13 AM
Quote Quote by ehrenfest View Post
I do think 10.63 and 10.64 are wrong if 10.60 and 10.61 are correct, however. Where does the commutator come from if both equations sum over all possible values of a their vector index?
No, I think (10.63) and (10.64) follow from (10.60) and (10.61). The product equals the commutator in this case because the annihilator annihilates the vacuum.

nrqed
Oct7-07, 08:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,886

Zwiebach, pages 175,176

Quote Quote by jimmysnyder View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Equation (10.58) is:
[tex]\phi(t, \vec{x}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}\Sigma_{\vec{p}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_p}}(a_{p}e^{-iE_pt + i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}} + a_p^{\dagger}e^{iE_pt - i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
Here is equation (10.57)
[tex]\phi_{p}(t, \vec{x}) =\frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_p}}(a_{p}e^{-iE_pt + i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}} + a_p^{\dagger}e^{iE_pt - i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}})[/tex]
[tex]+\frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_p}}(a_{-p}e^{-iE_pt - i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}} + a_{-p}^{\dagger}e^{iE_pt + i\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
The idea is that the second term on the r.h.s. of (10.57) is the same as the first term evaluated for [itex]\vec{p} = -\vec{p}[/itex], which does not effect [itex]E_p[/itex]. Then (10.58) is supposed to be the sum of (10.57) over all values of [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]. My problem is that I think there is a factor of 2 missing on the r.h.s. of (10.58) because each of the terms in (10.57) should appear twice in the sum. What am I missing? The same problem arises on page 176 for equations (10.60) and (10.61) which are sums of (10.55) and (10.56) respectively.
But in each term of equation 10.57, all the components of [itex] \vec{p} [/itex] are supposed to be positive 9again, this is true for each of the two terms of 10.57). But in 10.58 the components of p are allowed to be negative. So in the sum of 10.58 here is what happens: when the p's are positive, one generates the pieces corresponding to the first term of 10.57. When the p components in 10.58 are negative, one generates the pieces coresponding to the second term of 10.57.

Does that make sense?
Jimmy Snyder
Oct7-07, 08:01 PM
Quote Quote by nrqed View Post
But in each term of equation 10.57, all the components of [itex] \vec{p} [/itex] are supposed to be positive.
Is that implied by something in the text? Just above equation (10.58) he says:
phi includes contributions from all values of [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]

Register to reply