From fluid energy conservation equation to the continuity equation

happyparticle
Homework Statement
Derive the continuity equation from the energy conservation equation
Relevant Equations
##\frac{De}{Dt} + (\gamma - 1)e \nabla \cdot \vec{u} = - \frac{1}{\rho} (\vec{u} \cdot \nabla)p ##
##\frac{Dp}{Dt} + \gamma p \nabla\cdot \vec{u} = 0##
##\frac{D}{Dt} \frac{p}{\rho^{\gamma}} = 0##
##e = \frac{1}{\gamma -1} \frac{p}{\rho}##
Hey there,

First of all, all energy conservation equations for a fluid I found on google hadn't the ##\gamma## coefficient. What exactly is the difference?

Secondly, by substituting e by ##e = \frac{1}{\gamma -1} \frac{p}{\rho}## in the following equation ##\frac{De}{Dt} + (\gamma - 1)e \nabla \cdot \vec{u} = - \frac{1}{\rho} (\vec{u} \cdot \nabla)p ## I got ##\frac{D}{Dt}(\frac{1}{\gamma -1} \frac{p}{\rho}) + (\gamma - 1)(\frac{1}{\gamma -1} \frac{p}{\rho}) \nabla \cdot \vec{u} = - \frac{1}{\rho} (\vec{u} \cdot \nabla)p ##

=> ## \frac{D}{Dt}(\frac{1}{\gamma -1}) p + p \nabla \cdot \vec{u} = - (\vec{u} \cdot \nabla)p ##

Then, I'm wondering if in this case the pressure is constant to have the right hand side equal to 0?
Anyway, I don't get the expecting result.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the energy-balance and momentum-balance equation for adiabatic processes. So you deal with ideal hydrodynamics. The task is to derive the continuity equation
$$\partial_t \rho + \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\rho \vec{u})=0.$$

If I understood
$$
\frac{De}{Dt} + (\gamma - 1)e \nabla \cdot \vec{u} = - \frac{1}{\rho} (\vec{u} \cdot \nabla)p \hspace{10pt} (1)
$$
Is the energy-balance equation

and
$$
\frac{Dp}{Dt} + \gamma p \nabla\cdot \vec{u} = 0 \hspace{10pt} (2)
$$
is the momentum-balanced equation

I'm should be able to get (2) from (1) by replacing ##e## in (1).

vanhees71 said:
No, why?
I have a problem that I have get equation (2) and ##
\frac{D}{Dt} \frac{p}{\rho^{\gamma}} = 0
##

From equation (1) by replacing e with ##
\frac{1}{\gamma -1} \frac{p}{\rho}
##

1. What is the fluid energy conservation equation?

The fluid energy conservation equation, also known as the Bernoulli's equation, is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at a given point in a flow. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant as it flows through a pipe or channel, neglecting any external forces or energy losses.

2. How is the fluid energy conservation equation derived?

The fluid energy conservation equation is derived from the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. By applying this principle to a small volume of fluid in a flow, we can derive the equation by considering the work done by pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy.

3. What is the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is a mathematical expression of the principle of conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In fluid dynamics, it relates the velocity and cross-sectional area of a fluid at different points in a flow, showing that the mass flow rate remains constant throughout the flow.

4. How is the continuity equation related to the fluid energy conservation equation?

The continuity equation is closely related to the fluid energy conservation equation, as it is used to determine the velocity of a fluid at a given point in a flow. This velocity is then used in the fluid energy conservation equation to calculate the pressure and elevation at that point. The two equations are often used together to analyze and solve fluid flow problems.

5. What are the applications of the fluid energy conservation equation and the continuity equation?

The fluid energy conservation equation and the continuity equation have numerous applications in various fields, including engineering, meteorology, and aerodynamics. They are used to analyze and design fluid systems, such as pipes, pumps, and turbines, and to predict the behavior of fluids in different environments, such as air flow over an airplane wing or water flow in a river. They are also essential in understanding and predicting weather patterns and natural phenomena, such as ocean currents and hurricanes.