QFT: Normalization of coherent states

In summary, the problem reduces to finding two sums for each exponential in an equation involving a Glauber coherent state.
Marioweee
Homework Statement
We can define a coherent state of scalar fields as ## \ket{\eta_k}=Ne^{A}\ket{0}## with ##A=\int \dfrac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3 \sqrt{2E_K}}\eta_k a^{\dagger}_{k} ## where the ##a_k## are the destruction operators of a real ##\phi## scalar field and ## \eta_k## functions of momentum k with sufficiently convergent behavior at infinity.
a) Compute N such that ##\braket{\eta_k | \eta_k}=1##.
Relevant Equations
##[a_p, a_{q}^{\dagger}]=(2\pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{q})##
##e^{X}=\sum_{i}^{\infty}\dfrac{X^i}{i!} ##
What I have done is the following:
\begin{equation}
\braket{\eta_k | \eta_k}=|N|^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n!}\bra{0}(A^{\dagger})^nA^n\ket{0}=|N|^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n!}\int \dfrac{d^{3n}kd^{3n}p}{(2\pi)^{3n}(2\pi)^{3n}\sqrt{(2E_k)^{n}}\sqrt{(2E_p)^{n}}}\eta^{n}_{k}\eta_{p}^{n}\bra{0}(a_{k}a^{\dagger}_{p})^{n}\ket{0}
\end{equation}
We know that ##\bra{0}a_{k}a^{\dagger}_{p}\ket{0}=\bra{0}[a_{k},a^{\dagger}_{p}]\ket{0}+\bra{0}a^{\dagger}_{p}a_{k}\ket{0}=(2\pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{k})\bra{0}\ket{0}=(2\pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{k})## since the action of the destruction operator on the void returns us a zero. But we want to calculate ## \bra{0}(a_{k}a^{\dagger}_{p})^n\ket{0}## , however, this is nothing more than ## \bra{0}(a_{k}a^{\dagger}_{p})(a_{k}a^{\dagger}_{p})(a_{k}a^{\dagger}_{p})...\ket{0}=(2\pi)^{3n} \delta^{(3n)}(\vec{p}-\vec{k})##

Therefore
\begin{equation}
\braket{\eta_k | \eta_k}=|N|^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n!}\int \dfrac{d^{3n}kd^{3n}p}{(2\pi)^{3n}(2\pi)^{3n}\sqrt{(2E_k)^{n}}\sqrt{(2E_p)^{n}}}\eta^{n}_{k}\eta_{p}^{n}\bra{0}(a_{k}a^{\dagger}_{p})^{n}\ket{0}=|N|^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n!}\int \dfrac{d^{3n}kd^{3n}p}{(2\pi)^{3n}(2\pi)^{3n}\sqrt{(2E_k)^{n}}\sqrt{(2E_p)^{n}}}\eta^{n}_{k}\eta_{p}^{n}(2\pi)^{3n} \delta^{(3n)}(\vec{p}-\vec{k})=|N|^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n!}\int \dfrac{d^{3n}k}{(2\pi)^{3n}(2E_k)^{n}}\eta^{2n}_{k}=|N|^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n!}\left( \int \dfrac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}(2E_k)}\eta^{2}_{k}\right)^n=|N|^2e^{\int \dfrac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}(2E_k)}\eta^{2}_{k}}=1 \rightarrow N=e^{-\dfrac{1}{2}\int \dfrac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}(2E_k)}\eta^{2}_{k}}
\end{equation}

Would this result be correct? If so, I have a doubt, since I have tried to make it more general since in principle we would need two sums for each exponential. I mean
\begin{equation}
\braket{\eta_k | \eta_k}=|N|^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n!}\dfrac{1}{m!}\bra{0}(A^{\dagger})^nA^m\ket{0}=|N|^2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n!}\dfrac{1}{m!}\int \dfrac{d^{3n}kd^{3m}p}{(2\pi)^{3n}(2\pi)^{3m}\sqrt{(2E_k)^{n}}\sqrt{(2E_p)^{m}}}\eta^{n}_{k}\eta_{p}^{m}\bra{0}a_{k}^{n}(a^{\dagger}_{p})^{m}\ket{0}
\end{equation}
It is clear that for ##\bra{0}(a_{k}^{n}a^{\dagger}_{p})^{m}\ket{0}\neq 0 ## m and n must be equal and must appear in the equation ## \delta_{m,n}##. Now, if m is equal to n, we do the steps above. However, I find a problem with the factorial of n that appears twice, which does not allow to have the expression of the exponential. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you very much for any kind of help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem reduces drastically, down to merely a few lines if you know the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff (BCH) formula $$e^{A+B} ~=~ e^A e^B e^{-[A,B]/2} ~,$$ which is true when ##[A,B]## commutes with both ##A## and ##B##.

You'll also need to use (or prove) the result that a (Glauber) coherent state is an eigenstate of the annihiliation operator, then use a generalized form of the commutation relations that says $$[a, f(a^\dagger)] ~=~ \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial a^\dagger} \, f(a^\dagger) ~.$$ To complete this exercise properly, you should probably prove the latter, (e.g., by induction and a couple of other tricks).

Some of these utility formulas are probably mentioned in your textbook(s), no?

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71, topsquark and 1 other person

1. What is the concept of normalization in quantum field theory (QFT)?

Normalization in QFT refers to the process of adjusting the coefficients of a wave function or a state vector to ensure that the total probability of all possible outcomes is equal to one. In other words, it is the process of scaling the wave function to make it consistent with the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. How are coherent states defined in QFT?

Coherent states in QFT are defined as eigenstates of the annihilation operator, which is a mathematical operator that represents the process of removing a particle from a quantum system. These states have a well-defined phase and amplitude, and they exhibit properties of classical waves, such as superposition and interference.

3. What is the significance of the normalization of coherent states in QFT?

The normalization of coherent states is important because it ensures that these states are physically meaningful and consistent with the laws of quantum mechanics. It also allows for the calculation of probabilities and expectation values, which are essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How is the normalization of coherent states calculated?

The normalization of coherent states is calculated by finding the square root of the inner product of the state vector with itself. This inner product is a complex number that represents the overlap between the coherent state and itself. By taking the square root of this value, we can obtain the normalization factor that scales the state vector to ensure it has a total probability of one.

5. What are some applications of coherent states in QFT?

Coherent states have various applications in QFT, such as in the study of quantum optics, quantum computing, and quantum information theory. They are also used in the description of the dynamics of quantum systems, such as in the calculation of transition probabilities between different energy levels. Additionally, coherent states have been used in the development of quantum algorithms for solving complex problems in fields such as cryptography and data analysis.