Concentration of ammonia in a solution

by sveioen
Tags: ammonia, concentration, solution
Share this thread:
sveioen
Nov5-07, 12:08 AM
P: 14
Hello all,

I had chemistry a long time ago, but now I am very rusty at it so I am hoping you can get me started with this problem I have;

A particular solution of ammonia (Kb = 1.8 x 10-5) has a pH of 8.3.
What is the concentration of ammonia in this solution?

Is it the concentration of NH3 I have to find? I know I can find [OH-] since I know the pH, but what does the final equation look like? Something like [tex]Kb=[OH-][NH4+]/[NH3][/tex]?

Thank you for any help!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
Antineutron
Nov5-07, 12:28 AM
P: 76
NH4 and OH- is going to have same amount of equilibrium concentration gained from the NH3. So If you know the pH, then how do you find the pOH, and what is the concentration of OH-? Multiply both sides by NH3 and divide bothsides by Kb. What happens?
sveioen
Nov5-07, 12:37 AM
Ok, so pOH = 14 - pH = 14 - 8,3 = 5,7. Concentration of OH- and NH4 is therefore [tex]1,995 \times 10^{-6}[/tex]? And then [tex] [NH3] = \frac{[OH^-][NH4^+]}{K_b}[/tex]?

Antineutron
Nov5-07, 12:48 AM
Concentration of ammonia in a solution

So plug the values and see what you get, I hope this answer agree with the true answer, does it?? If not tell me.
sveioen
Nov5-07, 12:54 AM
I got [tex]2,21 \times 10^{-7}[/tex], which seems reasonable I guess. Maybe a bit low?!
Antineutron
Nov5-07, 12:59 AM
You don't have the answer? It should be reasonable right? because its the equilibrum concentration right?
sveioen
Nov5-07, 01:09 AM
Nope dont have answer (yet) :(, but it seems kinda right.. Probably is equilibrum concentration..
lightarrow
Nov8-07, 06:08 AM
P: 1,521
Quote Quote by sveioen View Post
I got [tex]2,21 \times 10^{-7}[/tex], which seems reasonable I guess. Maybe a bit low?!
I got [tex]2,21 \times 10^{-6}[/tex] instead.

Register to reply