Test for Ammonia: NaOH & Litmus/HCl

Yes, that is correct.In summary, adding sodium hydroxide to [NH4]2Fe[SO4]2 results in the production of ammonia gas, which can be tested with litmus paper (turns blue) or HCL (produces white smoke). The correct reaction equation is NH4+ + OH- → NH3↑ + H2O, where the ammonia dissociates in water to form gas.
enc08
Hi,

I'm looking at a question which asks how one can test for ammonia in

[NH4]2Fe[SO4]2

The answer says that you add sodium hydroxide, and get

[NH4]2Fe[SO4]2 + 2 NaOH -> [NH4]2Fe(OH)2 + 2 NaSO4

This is what I don't get: it then says you test the ammonia gas with litmus paper, or with HCL. In the former case, the litmus paper turns blue, and in the latter, you get white smoke.

My two questions: I know ammonia is alkaline, but how is [NH4]2Fe(OH)2 a gas? Secondly, why do you get white smoke when you add HCL?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your reaction equation is wrong.

It is about NH4+ being neutralized by NaOH to produce conjugate base.

Hi Borek

I'm beginning to see how it's correct...that the ammonia dissociates in water so it can react.

Could you please describe what the correct equation is? We haven't looked at conjugate bases, could you elaborate?

Thanks.

Ammonia evolves after being neutralized by the strong base:

NH4+ + OH- → NH3↑ + H2O

I see. From what I understand, 'evolves' means that it turns into gas?

What is the purpose of a test for ammonia using NaOH & Litmus/HCl?

The purpose of this test is to determine the presence of ammonia in a substance. Ammonia is a chemical compound commonly found in household cleaners, fertilizers, and industrial chemicals. It can be harmful to human health if ingested or inhaled, so it is important to be able to detect its presence.

How does the test for ammonia using NaOH & Litmus/HCl work?

The test works by using the chemical reactions between ammonia and the substances NaOH (sodium hydroxide) and Litmus/HCl (hydrochloric acid). When ammonia is present, it reacts with NaOH to form a salt and water, which can be detected by its characteristic smell. Additionally, the reaction between ammonia and HCl causes a change in the color of Litmus, indicating the presence of ammonia.

What materials are needed for the test for ammonia using NaOH & Litmus/HCl?

To perform this test, you will need a sample of the substance being tested, NaOH (sodium hydroxide) solution, Litmus paper, and HCl (hydrochloric acid) solution. You will also need a test tube or other container to mix the substances in and a source of heat, such as a Bunsen burner or hot plate.

Are there any safety precautions to take when performing the test for ammonia using NaOH & Litmus/HCl?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when performing this test. Ammonia can be harmful if inhaled or ingested, so it is recommended to perform the test in a well-ventilated area and to wear protective gloves and eyewear. It is also important to handle the chemicals carefully and to avoid contact with skin or clothing.

What are the potential sources of error in the test for ammonia using NaOH & Litmus/HCl?

Some potential sources of error in this test include improper mixing of the substances, contamination of the sample, and incorrect interpretation of the results. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and to use clean materials to avoid these errors. It may also be helpful to perform the test multiple times to ensure accuracy.