Using Henry's law to calculate ammonia concentration?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the concentration of ammonia in a closed chamber with a solution of 5% ammonia at 40°C using Henry's law. The person asking for help is not familiar with the concept of vapor pressures and is directed to resources for self-education. The conversation also includes links to websites providing information on ammonia vapor pressure.
Hopper295
TL;DR Summary
How do I calculate the concentration of ammonia in air above a ammina solution of a known concentration
We have a closed chamber of 20 liters. The bottom of this chamber is filled with ammonia solution of 5% (=2,7M/liter). The solution temperature is controlled at 40°C

I would like to calculate the concentration of ammmonia in the chamber air, above the solution. It should be something with henry's law but I don't knwo how to do this...
An approximation would allready be super...

Hope someone can help me, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want to learn about the concept of vapour pressures first.

Hi dr. nate,

To be honest I don't know much about this... :rolleyes:

can you explain some more what you mean?

Ok thanks. I was already trying to do it myself using googel, but this doesn't go so well.
I was actually hoping someone would find this easy and show me how to do it.

1. What is Henry's law and how is it used to calculate ammonia concentration?

Henry's law states that the concentration of a gas dissolved in a liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of the gas above the liquid. This means that as the partial pressure of ammonia increases, its concentration in the liquid also increases. To calculate the ammonia concentration using Henry's law, we need to know the partial pressure of ammonia and the Henry's law constant for ammonia in the specific liquid.

2. What is the Henry's law constant for ammonia and how is it determined?

The Henry's law constant for ammonia is a numerical value that represents the solubility of ammonia in a specific liquid. It is determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of ammonia in the liquid at different partial pressures and then plotting a graph to find the slope, which is equal to the Henry's law constant.

3. Can Henry's law be used for any liquid and gas combination?

No, Henry's law is only applicable for ideal solutions, where the gas and liquid do not interact chemically. Additionally, the temperature and pressure must remain constant for the law to be accurate. In some cases, the Henry's law constant may also vary with temperature.

4. Are there any limitations to using Henry's law to calculate ammonia concentration?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Henry's law for calculating ammonia concentration. Firstly, as mentioned earlier, it is only applicable for ideal solutions. Additionally, the presence of other dissolved substances in the liquid can affect the solubility of ammonia and therefore, the accuracy of the calculation. Lastly, the Henry's law constant may vary with temperature, so it is important to use the correct value for the given temperature.

5. How can the calculated ammonia concentration be verified?

The calculated ammonia concentration can be verified by conducting experiments to measure the actual concentration in the liquid. This can be done by using analytical techniques such as titration or spectrophotometry. The results can then be compared to the calculated value, and any discrepancies can be analyzed to improve the accuracy of the calculation.