Cosmology books for a beginner

by pkarnett
Tags: beginner, books, cosmology
Share this thread:
pkarnett
Nov12-07, 10:16 PM
P: 2
Hello,

I am looking for some of the best books regarding cosmology, parallel universes, time travel, dimensions, quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, etc. for a layman. I am interested in the subject and would love to learn more about it. Any advice of where to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
The source of the sky's X-ray glow
End dawns for Europe's space cargo delivery role
Giant crater in Russia's far north sparks mystery
mgb_phys
Nov12-07, 10:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
John Gribbin "In search of the big bang" is a good maths free intro.
Simon Singh "The big bang" well written but more about the people than the physics?
Steven Weinberg "The first three minutes" is a slightly more detailed description by one of the top researchers.
Himanshu
Nov13-07, 02:59 AM
P: 67
Read "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Green. It covers topics like parallel universes, extra dimensions, sparticles, superstrings and a new discipline called String Theory.

chronon
Nov13-07, 03:50 AM
P: 499
Cosmology books for a beginner

Quote Quote by pkarnett View Post
Hello,

I am looking for some of the best books regarding cosmology, parallel universes, time travel, dimensions, quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, etc. for a layman. I am interested in the subject and would love to learn more about it. Any advice of where to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I suggest you take a look at my website, in particular the book reviews, where I look at lots of books of this type.
FunkyDwarf
Nov13-07, 06:01 AM
P: 479
Shrodingers kittens and Shrodingers cat by John Gribbin --> quantumn theory

and Universe by Freedman and Kaufmann --> cosmology, some astrophysics. Not highly mathematical and well written.
Chronos
Nov13-07, 11:45 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,366
Welcome to PF, pkarnett! Why pay when you can get it for free on the internet? Try here for starters:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm

Register to reply