How does the cosmological constant affect gravitational collapse?

In summary, the conversation discusses the significance of the cosmological constant in General Relativity and its value in relation to gravitational collapse. Science Advisor Chalnoth explains that the constant is necessary for gravitational collapse to occur and its value must be extremely small for structures such as galaxies and stars to form. The term "natural units" is defined and the conversation ends with Cerenkov thanking mfb for clarifying the topic for them.
Cerenkov
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-are-the-best-parameters-for-lcdm.831858/

Hello.

In the above linked thread from 2015 Science Advisor Chalnoth replies to Earnest Guest.

First, the cosmological constant has been a component of General Relativity pretty much from the start. The way that General Relativity is derived, in fact, essentially requires the existence of the cosmological constant. Its value had long assumed to be zero because it has to take on a value smaller than about 10−120 in natural units in order for any gravitational collapse to occur. Theorists largely assumed that there must be some kind of symmetry that sets the cosmological constant to be zero. However, no such symmetry has been found. Our theories, in other words, seem to be telling us that the cosmological constant probably must exist, and therefore we really shouldn't have been all that surprised to see it occur. My questions pertain to the highlighted sentence.

Is the gravitational collapse in question the phenomenon referred to by Roger Penrose in this paper? https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...rose/faad1f4358fddf70df2e00c0a290b7e4501c27de

What do the words 'natural units' refer to please?

If possible, could someone please explain to me why the value of the cosmological constant has to take on such a small value for gravitational collapse to occur? Please note that my level of understanding is Basic, so I won't be able to follow any math.

If it's not possible to answer this question at a Basic level, I quite understand and I thank you for reading this. I am reconciled to not being able to follow a lot of what is posted in this forum. But my interest in these topics remains undimmed.Thank you for any help given. Cerenkov.

Space news on Phys.org
"any gravitational collapse" just means any gravitationally bound structure: Galaxies, stars, ...
If the cosmological constant were e.g. 100 times the measured value (which is still a tiny value compared to the Planck density) everything would have be blown apart long before these structures would have had time to form.
Cerenkov said:
What do the words 'natural units' refer to please?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Thank you mfb. :smile:

I can see now that I was barking up the wrong tree, mistakenly thinking that the collapse referred to was that of a massive star collapsing into a black hole.

Thanks again,

Cerenkov.

Likes berkeman

1. How does the cosmological constant affect gravitational collapse?

The cosmological constant, also known as dark energy, is a constant term in Einstein's field equations that describes the overall energy density of the universe. It has a repulsive effect on matter and counteracts the attractive force of gravity. This means that the presence of a cosmological constant can slow down or even prevent gravitational collapse.

2. Can the cosmological constant cause a black hole to stop collapsing?

Yes, the cosmological constant can counteract the gravitational collapse of a black hole. As the black hole collapses, the cosmological constant becomes more dominant and eventually reaches a point where it balances out the gravitational pull, causing the black hole to stop collapsing and reach a stable state.

3. Does the cosmological constant affect the size of a black hole?

Yes, the cosmological constant can affect the size of a black hole. If the cosmological constant is strong enough, it can prevent a black hole from forming or cause it to evaporate. In the case of an already existing black hole, the cosmological constant can counteract the gravitational pull and potentially decrease its size.

4. How does the cosmological constant impact the formation of galaxies?

The cosmological constant plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. It is responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe, which affects the distribution of matter and the formation of structures like galaxies. Without the cosmological constant, the universe would have collapsed back on itself before galaxies could form.

5. Is the cosmological constant the only factor that affects gravitational collapse?

No, the cosmological constant is not the only factor that affects gravitational collapse. Other factors such as the mass and density of the collapsing object, as well as the presence of other forms of energy, can also play a role. However, the cosmological constant is a significant factor in determining the fate of gravitational collapse in the universe.