Find the Unit Vector Parallel to 2x-z=4

In summary, the problem is to find a unit vector parallel to the line given by the equation 2x-z=4. The solution is (2, 0, 4)/sqrt(20) or (2i+4k)/sqrt(20) in the xz-plane.
chonghuh

Homework Statement

I have trouble solving this following problem: Find a unit vector parallel to this equation 2x-z=4.

The answer is supposed to come out as (2x+4z)/(square root of 20). It would be great if someone can show me how to get this answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
2x-z=4
represents the family of points in the form (x, 0, 2x-4)
and the points (0,0,4) and (1,0,-2) are part of that family,
with them we can form the vector (1,0,2)

So we get the family of vectores parallel to the line by
x.(1,0,2)

Notice from your solution its easy to see that they used:
x = 2

Now we just need to divide (2, 0, 4) by its norm
which is sqrt(2^2 + 4^2)

First, the problem, as you stated it, does not make sense! An "equation" is not a geometric object and you cannot talk about something being parallel to an "equation"!

I suspect that you mean "Find a unit vector parallel to the graph of the equation 2x-z= 4". Of course, then, the answer cannot be "[itex](2x+4z)/\sqrt{20}[/itex] because that is an "expression", not a vector. Perhaps you mean [itex](2\vec{i}+ 4\vec{k})/\sqrt{20}[/itex].

Further, if we are to interpret this in 3 dimensions (implied by using x and z rather than x and y), then the set of points satisfying 2x- z= 4 is a plane and there are and infinite number of vectors parallel to that plane.

If, instead, you mean a unit vector, in the xz-plane, parallel to the line given by 2x- z= 4, a simple way to do this is to note that if x= 0, z= -4 and if z= 0, x= 2. That is, the line goes through (0, -4) and (2, 0). A vector from (0, -4) to (2, 0) is [itex]2\vec{i}+ 4\vec{k}[/itex]. That vector has length [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 4^2}= \sqrt{20}[/itex]. A unit vector pointing in the same direction as that line (in the xz-plane) is
[tex](2\vec{i}+ 4\vec{k})/\sqrt{20}[/itex]

y it could be in [tex]\ R^2[/tex] my bad :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thank you for the help

1. What does it mean to find a unit vector parallel to a given equation?

When we say "parallel" in this context, we mean that the vector we find will have the same direction as the equation's line. A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1, which makes it easier to work with in calculations.

2. How can I determine the direction of the unit vector?

To determine the direction of the unit vector, we need to find the coefficients of the variables in the given equation. In this case, the coefficients are 2, 0, and -1 for x, y, and z, respectively. This means that the direction of the unit vector is (2, 0, -1).

3. What is the formula for finding the unit vector parallel to a given equation?

The formula for finding the unit vector parallel to a given equation is to divide the coefficients of the variables by the magnitude of the vector. In this case, the magnitude of the vector is √(2² + 0² + (-1)²) = √5. So, the unit vector parallel to 2x-z=4 is (2/√5, 0/√5, -1/√5).

4. Can I find the unit vector parallel to any type of equation?

Yes, the formula for finding the unit vector parallel to a given equation can be applied to any type of equation, as long as it is in the form of ax+by+cz=d, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the variables and d is a constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the unit vector parallel to a given equation?

Finding the unit vector parallel to a given equation can be useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. In physics, it can be used to calculate the direction and magnitude of a force acting on an object. In engineering, it can help with designing structures and determining the direction of forces on them. In computer graphics, it is used to create realistic 3D images by calculating the direction of light sources and reflections.