Simple Unit Vector Problem: Finding Parallel and Perpendicular Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unit vector normal and parallel to the function f(x) = -3x^2 + 5 at the point (1,2). The process involves finding the derivative of the function at the given point and using it to calculate the slope and unit vector parallel to the graph. The conversation also mentions finding a perpendicular unit vector by setting the dot product equal to zero. The conversation concludes by suggesting to find the parallel unit vector first and then using it to find the perpendicular one.
hagobarcos

Homework Statement

Find the unit vector normal to the function f(x) = -3x^2 + 5 and the point (1,2)
and find a unit vector parallel, using f(x) and the point (1,2).

Homework Equations

How do I find the slope here? I attempted to just use the point (0,5), and then the given point (1,2),
resulting in a slope of -3/1 or -3.

And since a vector is sometimes a line between two points, used that to develop a form.
So vector parallel equals <1i, -3j>

The perpendicular would simply be pointing 90 degrees out.
So, after setting the dot product equal to zero, vector perp. equals <3,1>

Is this the right track?

The Attempt at a Solution

Then to find the unit vectors for the parallel bit and the perpendicular bit I divided by their magnitudes, sqrt(10).
Attached is a photo of what I did.

Attachments

• Cal Hw 11.1.jpg
    Cal Hw 11.1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
(1,2) is a point on the graph. The slope at that point is the derivative of the function at 1. Your way of calculating the slope only yields an approximation of the true slope (i.e. the derivative of f at 1). The approximation is better if you choose the second point closer to (1,2). But you don't want an approximation, you want the exact value. You could choose an arbitrary point (x,f(x)) compute the approximate slope as (f(x)-2)/(x-1) and then let x go to 1, but instead of actually doing that, you should recognize that the result of this limit operation is by definition f'(1). You should calculate f'(1) the way you usually find derivatives.

I think it's easier to find a vector parallel to the graph at (1,2) than to find one that's perpendicular to it. So I would find the parallel one first, and then use it to find the perpendicular one.

Last edited:
Ohhhhhh! Right. *face palm* :D

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and points in a specific direction. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent direction and normalize other vectors.

2. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, you need to divide the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with the same direction but a magnitude of 1.

3. Why is it important to use unit vectors?

Unit vectors are important because they allow us to represent direction without being affected by the magnitude of the vector. This makes calculations and equations involving vectors much simpler and easier to work with.

4. Can a unit vector be negative?

Yes, a unit vector can be negative. The negative sign only affects the direction of the vector, not its magnitude. So a unit vector can point in any direction, positive or negative.

5. How are unit vectors used in real-world applications?

Unit vectors are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as computer graphics, navigation systems, and physics simulations. They are also used in engineering and design to represent forces and directions in 3D space.