Finding Orthogonal Unit Vector to 3 Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a unit vector that is orthogonal to two given unit vectors. The method of using the cross product is mentioned, but there is confusion about how to approach the problem when a third vector is involved. The individual suggests setting up a matrix to solve the equation system and then calculating the unit vector.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
Let R4 have the Euclidean inner product. Find a unit vector with a positive first component that is orthogonal to all three of the following vectors.
Relevant Equations
u = (1,-1,6,0) v = (7,1,0,1) w = (1,0,4,1)
I'm having difficulties solving this. For finding a unit vector that is orthogonal to two unit vectors I understand we use the cross product and such. However, I am confused about how to approach this problem as it has a third vector.

We can let x = (x1, x2, x3, x4) be a vector orthogonal to u, v, and w.

We then have (x, u) = x1 - x2 + 6 x3 = 0,
(x, v) = 7x1 + x2 + x4 = 0,
and (x, w) = x1 + 4 x3 + x4 = 0.

I am just a little bit confused on where to go from here, would I be setting up a matrix? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have set up all conditions for orthogonality. Now ##x_1>0## and ##\|x\|=1## are yet to guarantee. I would simply choose ##x_1=1##, solve the equation system and finally calculate ##\dfrac{x}{\|x\|}##.

1. How do you find an orthogonal unit vector to three given vectors?

To find an orthogonal unit vector to three given vectors, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This process involves finding the orthogonal projection of each vector onto the subspace spanned by the previous vectors and then normalizing the resulting vector to have a unit length.

2. Why is finding an orthogonal unit vector important?

Finding an orthogonal unit vector is important because it allows us to represent a vector in terms of other, simpler vectors. This can be useful in many areas of science, such as linear algebra and physics, where vector operations are frequently used.

3. Can you find an orthogonal unit vector to any set of three vectors?

No, it is not always possible to find an orthogonal unit vector to any set of three vectors. This depends on the linear independence of the given vectors. If the vectors are linearly independent, then it is possible to find an orthogonal unit vector. However, if the vectors are linearly dependent, then it is not possible to find an orthogonal unit vector.

4. Is there a unique solution for finding an orthogonal unit vector?

Yes, there is a unique solution for finding an orthogonal unit vector. This is because the Gram-Schmidt process produces a unique set of orthogonal vectors, and normalizing these vectors will result in a unique set of orthogonal unit vectors.

5. Can the Gram-Schmidt process be used to find an orthogonal unit vector in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Gram-Schmidt process can be used to find an orthogonal unit vector in any number of dimensions. It is a general method for finding orthogonal vectors and can be applied to any number of vectors in any dimension.