Register to reply

Master's degree in engineering: is it worth it?

by pakmingki2
Tags: degree, engineering, master
Share this thread:
pakmingki2
Feb20-08, 01:10 PM
P: 35
will a master's degree in any engineering field really give you a significant advantasge in the job market?

does it vary for different disciplines of engineering?
thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Pyrrhus
Feb20-08, 01:49 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Well in Civil Engineering most people just stay with their Bachelor's, althought in the near future having a Master is going to be the norm, so i say go ahead and get one, too.
chroot
Feb20-08, 03:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,428
Master's degrees are often prerequisites for some of the most interesting kinds of engineering jobs. On the other hand, you can find employment just fine with only a bachelor's.

- Warren

pakmingki2
Feb20-08, 04:24 PM
P: 35
Master's degree in engineering: is it worth it?

Quote Quote by chroot View Post
Master's degrees are often prerequisites for some of the most interesting kinds of engineering jobs. On the other hand, you can find employment just fine with only a bachelor's.

- Warren
what kind of jobs would be the more interesting jobs?
Like, for cheme or ee, what would be some of the jobs exclusive to those with a masters?
thanks
chroot
Feb20-08, 04:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Well, as a design engineer, you might need a master's to get real consideration for jobs involving mission critical applications like life support (implantable medical devices), space exploration, etc.

- Warren
stakehoagy
Feb20-08, 05:02 PM
P: 29
just curious if there is a big difference in salary of bs and masters
chroot
Feb20-08, 05:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Yep. Usually it's about a 20% difference.

- Warren
Asphodel
Feb20-08, 05:45 PM
P: 451
Note, 20% in exchange for 2 years (200%) means 10 years to make up the difference. At which point you have 10 years experience as an engineer which will decrease the margin. Round that down a bit for whatever you're making in grad school...it's really just an estimate anyway.

So the best reason to do it is because of your interests, not money.
huckmank
Feb20-08, 08:44 PM
P: 101
20% is not a big enough difference to justify it monetarily. It's nothing like the difference between a BSEE and JD (100-200%).

Do it if it interests you, but I don't know of too many of my friends going on to get their masters for the income bump.
Shackleford
Feb20-08, 10:54 PM
P: 1,537
From my understanding, a Master's in CivE goes further than a master's in another engineering discipline.
Asphodel
Feb21-08, 04:41 AM
Sure, if you want to do civil engineering. It's probably not so helpful if you want to play with electronics.
Oerg
Feb21-08, 12:14 PM
P: 364
Quote Quote by huckmank View Post
20% is not a big enough difference to justify it monetarily. It's nothing like the difference between a BSEE and JD (100-200%).

Do it if it interests you, but I don't know of too many of my friends going on to get their masters for the income bump.
What is a BSEE and JD?
Asphodel
Feb21-08, 01:04 PM
Engineering Bachelor's & Law Degree

The research the latter gets you into isn't exactly what I had in mind when I signed up for this ride.

Register to reply