Register to reply

Online Education

by expert_engine
Tags: education
Share this thread:
expert_engine
Apr23-08, 12:48 AM
P: 2
majored in English when was at university. I have been engaged in logistics jobs for almost 4 years. Now I got the bottle neck of my jobs, I feel lack of professional logistics knowledge, and I am considering to take a online-education. Would anyone please give me a good suggestion about the online education?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
stewartcs
Apr23-08, 07:53 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by expert_engine View Post
majored in English when was at university. I have been engaged in logistics jobs for almost 4 years. Now I got the bottle neck of my jobs, I feel lack of professional logistics knowledge, and I am considering to take a online-education. Would anyone please give me a good suggestion about the online education?
What area do you want to know about...accredidation, degrees, single courses, or something else?

CS
Troponin
Apr25-08, 06:05 PM
P: 270
Quote Quote by stewartcs View Post
What area do you want to know about...accredidation, degrees, single courses, or something else?

CS
I would be interested in knowing what is available for online degrees in physics as well as single course availability in physics.

I'm very interested in pursuing more knowledge in physics. I have no real desire for employment in physics however. I have looked into many online physic programs and it seems pretty obvious that the online options are limited in many ways in comparison to on campus programs. I can appreciate this of course, but I don't have the option of on an campus education right now.

Are there any "recommended" programs offering traditional physics degrees online? (IE: not with an emphasis on "ultrasound physics," "health and medical physics," etc.)

I understand I'm most likely in the minority with this interest, but I'm sucked in fully. I have watched the UC Berkely youtube videos with Dr. Mueller, I've watched the M.I.T. youtube classes (wonderful), I'm a physics forum lurker, I've "learned physics today" at thinkquest.org, I'm working on a problem set from the MIT opencourseware site right now. I'm fully sucked in, but realize I will eventually reach a point of definite diminished returns on my own. Unless Lisa Randall decides giving private lessons in particle physics is her life calling, I imagine I'll stuck at the undergraduate limit of knowledge with no ability to pursue a graduate degree.

BYU has an independant study single course in physics. Does anyone know if this is worth it?

bravernix
Apr25-08, 08:07 PM
P: 188
Online Education

Quote Quote by Troponin View Post
IAre there any "recommended" programs offering traditional physics degrees online?
Traditionally, physics is taught with lab courses, as such it's not really possible to do this online. Also, you certainly gain a lot from interaction with peers. Online courses tend to be extremely expensive from what I've seen and the educational value of them seems questionable to me. I would say that if you are really serious about wanting to learn more physics, rearrange things so that you can attend a university to do this. In your first post you are talking about reaching a bottleneck in your professional advancement and the desire to take an additional degree. However, you go on to say you do not desire employment in physics. Why go for a physics degree at all then?
stewartcs
Apr25-08, 11:20 PM
Sci Advisor
I would be interested in knowing what is available for online degrees in physics as well as single course availability in physics.
Here is a single online physics course. Same stuff as sitting in a classroom except you have to be more independent and self-disciplined.

http://delta2.ncsu.edu/infofact/inde...:601:SUM1:2008

CS
Troponin
Apr26-08, 06:20 AM
Quote Quote by bravernix View Post
Traditionally, physics is taught with lab courses, as such it's not really possible to do this online. Also, you certainly gain a lot from interaction with peers. Online courses tend to be extremely expensive from what I've seen and the educational value of them seems questionable to me. I would say that if you are really serious about wanting to learn more physics, rearrange things so that you can attend a university to do this. In your first post you are talking about reaching a bottleneck in your professional advancement and the desire to take an additional degree. However, you go on to say you do not desire employment in physics. Why go for a physics degree at all then?
I'm not going for a physics degree. I have a college education and am currently a business owner.

I would love to attend a university setting for physics, that would be absolutely wonderful. However, I have two small children, travel frequently, and there are no physics programs within a 90 min drive.

We've talked about relocating and "doing what is necessary" for me to study physics, but it is a bit too radical an idea to uproot my family to pursue a degree for "fun."

I realize the eccentricity here, and I will continue my autodidacticism (probably better than my autoeroticism....) but I can only imagine there will become a point where, however high my interest, further self education will become exponentially more difficult. This point is the "bottleneck" I implied in my first post.
stewartcs
Apr26-08, 09:48 AM
Sci Advisor
I'm not going for a physics degree. I have a college education and am currently a business owner.

I would love to attend a university setting for physics, that would be absolutely wonderful. However, I have two small children, travel frequently, and there are no physics programs within a 90 min drive.

We've talked about relocating and "doing what is necessary" for me to study physics, but it is a bit too radical an idea to uproot my family to pursue a degree for "fun."

I realize the eccentricity here, and I will continue my autodidacticism (probably better than my autoeroticism....) but I can only imagine there will become a point where, however high my interest, further self education will become exponentially more difficult. This point is the "bottleneck" I implied in my first post.
The class link I posted above is the first in a two part course that is taught online, however you must have your exams proctored, but that can be done at any local college or library. The labs are online as well.

Hope that helps.

CS
Troponin
Apr26-08, 10:03 AM
The class link I posted above is the first in a two part course that is taught online, however you must have your exams proctored, but that can be done at any local college or library. The labs are online as well.

Hope that helps.

CS
Great help actually, already working on the non-degree studies application.

Does anyone know anything about the BYU independent study programs? There are 6 available courses in physics through that program.
(I'm not able to link, as I do not have 15 posts yet)
Dr. Courtney
Apr26-08, 02:06 PM
P: 73
I have yet to see an online course in Physics that I would recommend with any enthusiasm.
bravernix
Apr26-08, 07:16 PM
P: 188
The labs are online as well.
Curious! How does this work exactly?
stewartcs
Apr27-08, 12:27 PM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by bravernix View Post
Curious! How does this work exactly?
They are virtual labs.
stewartcs
Apr27-08, 12:29 PM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by Dr. Courtney View Post
I have yet to see an online course in Physics that I would recommend with any enthusiasm.
I wouldn't recommend them either if a choice is available, however, since the OP doesn't appear to be able to attend a traditional setting, then this would be the next best thing.

Like I said previously, you MUST be self-disciplined and motivated to do well.

CS

Register to reply