Has the market corrupted the goal of education?

It is a shame that these fields are necessary to our society, but they don't directly contribute to the economy in the same way that science and engineering do. I support public funding for such programs, but I cannot make the argument that it is a good idea for students to go into debt for a degree in a field where there are few jobs.In summary, the conversation is discussing the current state of education and the role of the market in guiding students' career choices. The speaker expresses concern about the lack of policy guiding education and the prioritization of STEM programs over humanities. They also question the value of a college education in terms of return on investment and the budget cuts faced by humanities programs. The responder does not see a problem with the current
Posy McPostface
Forgive my rather philosophical posted question; but, having been in college for little more than a year, I can't but help to feel that what was once considered a noble goal of 'conditioning the soul' (as Plato might say) via education has instead been turned into the gratification of wants and needs imposed by the workings of the market. Please don't get the wrong idea, I'm not professing a Marxist interpretation here in regards to capitalism and free market's directing resources to the most profitable endeavours of education, be it engineering or computer science; but, increasingly there's been a lack of policy guiding education in the US, at least in my opinion or rather that policy (as seen in STEM programs) has been guided by the amount of utility to be gained from studying a STEM field. This seems like some sort of affirmative action or implicit bias towards those who study STEM majors instead of the humanities and such.

Nowadays, students face a hard choice in choosing their future jobs by diverting their time to professions that are lucrative and with a higher return on their investment, via debt accumulation by going to college. Art, humanities, and other rather humanistic endeavors face budget cuts to their programs due to not being as profitable as say engineering or computer science.

I hope I'm not coming off as making a value judgment; but, that seems to be the case when deciding to pursue some educational programs instead of others due to the working of the economy.

What can be done, or whether anything should be done about this is my question for posting this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh no, not THIS again!

Don’t you have any homework to do?

Zz.

Likes Posy McPostface
Posy McPostface said:
Forgive my rather philosophical posted question; but, having been in college for little more than a year, I can't but help to feel that what was once considered a noble goal of 'conditioning the soul' (as Plato might say) via education has instead been turned into the gratification of wants and needs imposed by the workings of the market. Please don't get the wrong idea, I'm not professing a Marxist interpretation here in regards to capitalism and free market's directing resources to the most profitable endeavours of education, be it engineering or computer science; but, increasingly there's been a lack of policy guiding education in the US, at least in my opinion or rather that policy (as seen in STEM programs) has been guided by the amount of utility to be gained from studying a STEM field.

I don't see the problem. I would argue that the primary goal of college is to help students develop into capable professionals in a chosen field. All other considerations are secondary to this. (Note that I said secondary, not that they are pointless) College represents and enormous amount of time, effort, energy, and money. The returns that students get for putting in all of this should be worthwhile.

Note that Plato's opinion of what education should be suffers from being 2500 years out of date with current civilization. Education in his era was not as long, not as in-depth, and the potential applications for their skills were much more limited than they are now. The dominant profession in that time period was subsistence farming and science and engineering did not yet exist as established professional fields. As far as I'm aware, Craftsmen were not taught in a school, but rather by on-the-job training as apprentices. Indeed, I would argue that part of the reason that early schools focused on "humanities" was because those were the only subjects which either couldn't be taught on-the-job or didn't have many practical applications.

Posy McPostface said:
Nowadays, students face a hard choice in choosing their future jobs by diverting their time to professions that are lucrative and with a higher return on their investment, via debt accumulation by going to college. Art, humanities, and other rather humanistic endeavors face budget cuts to their programs due to not being as profitable as say engineering or computer science.

I hope I'm not coming off as making a value judgment; but, that seems to be the case when deciding to pursue some educational programs instead of others due to the working of the economy.

Again, I don't see a problem. If the market is over-saturated in a specific field, then new students should be aware of this so that they don't spend 4-8 years of their lives only to graduate and work at a convenience store because they can't get a job in their field. Likewise, if a field is hurting for people to fills its empty positions, then the educational system should respond and work to increase the number of graduates in that field.

As for the budget cuts faced by the humanities programs, well, I don't have much to say about it at this time.

1. How has the market influenced the goal of education?

The market has influenced the goal of education in several ways. One of the main ways is through the increasing emphasis on standardized testing and grades, which are often used as a measure of success and can lead to a focus on achieving high test scores rather than a deeper understanding of the material. Additionally, the market has led to a focus on practical and job-oriented skills rather than a well-rounded education that includes critical thinking and creativity.

2. Has the market led to a decrease in the quality of education?

There is no clear answer to this question. While some argue that the market has led to a decrease in the quality of education due to the emphasis on standardized testing and a lack of focus on critical thinking skills, others argue that the market has also brought new technologies and resources that can enhance the learning experience. Additionally, the quality of education can vary greatly depending on the specific school and teachers.

3. How has the market affected the cost of education?

The market has had a significant impact on the cost of education. With the rise of for-profit colleges and universities, the cost of education has increased significantly in recent years. Additionally, the market has also led to an increase in the cost of textbooks and other educational resources, making it more difficult for students to access the materials they need for their education.

4. What are some potential consequences of the market's influence on education?

Some potential consequences of the market's influence on education include a decrease in the quality of education, a focus on practical skills rather than a well-rounded education, and an increase in the cost of education. Additionally, the market's influence can also lead to a widening achievement gap between students from different socioeconomic backgrounds.

5. How can we combat the negative effects of the market on education?

To combat the negative effects of the market on education, we need to prioritize the goal of education as a means of personal and societal growth rather than a means to meet market demands. This can involve implementing more holistic and well-rounded curriculums, promoting critical thinking and creativity, and providing equal access to education for all students regardless of their socioeconomic background. Additionally, government regulation and oversight of for-profit institutions can also help mitigate the negative impact of the market on education.