Geyser Timer

by Fuzigish
Tags: geyser, geyser controller, geyser timer, timer
Fuzigish
Nov15-08, 06:53 AM
P: 5
I want to build a digital timer that will switch my geyser on and off at a preset time in order to save power. I don’t know much about PICs so I would rather try using only logic ICs. It has to have at least 3 preset ‘on-times’ and 3 ‘off-times’. Can anyone help me to get started?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Proton Soup
Nov15-08, 03:08 PM
P: 1,070
seriously, just go to the hardware store and pick up an AC wall timer. something like this:

maybe get a "heavy duty" unit, while you're at it. don't know how much power a "geyser" uses.
Fuzigish
Nov15-08, 03:52 PM
Unfortunately it would be illegal to build something like that into a distribution board in South-Africa. Plus an average geyser is 4000W – 6000W, so I don’t think even a heavy-duty unit would work.

This is an example of something similar: http://www.geyserwise.co.za/web/index.php

Proton Soup
Nov15-08, 05:35 PM
P: 1,070

Geyser Timer

a "geyser" is a hot water heater?

there are also timers that control a lot more current and could be inserted into an electrical panel. what i don't get is how it's going to be any more legal for you to insert some homemade controller into a panel. if that's your goal, you'll need to buy an approved product.
Fuzigish
Nov16-08, 03:32 AM
Yes, a ‘geyser’ is a hot water heater.
This whole exercise is not to build something that will necessarily be used. I just want to learn something out of this about logic-ICs, so buying a pre-built unit would be pretty useless.

Register to reply