Creating on/off capability using same normally opened P.B

• Thread starter DjMadness
  • Start date
In summary, the OP designed a circuit that has a function as follows: When user presses the push-button, a lamp turns on and remains that way (self-latched). After a small time delay when the user re-presses the same push-button the light goes off and so on repeatedly...Regularly in control diagrams, there are several logic laws that user must obey in order to have an efficient system functioning. In this case, a single input CANNOT create different outputs.
DjMadness
Hello,

Excited to design, using relays, corresponding switches and timers, a control diagram that has a function as follows:

When user presses the push-button, a lamp turns on and remains that way (self-latched). After a small time delay when the user re-presses the same push-button the light goes off and so on repeatedly...

Regularly in control diagrams, there are several logic laws that user must obey in order to have an efficient system functioning. In this case, a single input CANNOT create different outputs.[1]

I know that there are self-latching relays, and one can program a chip to make a counter and do this small function, but the intention is to exercise drawing industrial control montages.
Before posting problems related to [1], I have used a single push button with an N.O switch and another N.O auxiliary one that both function under the same order of button switch. The circuit is as follow and is 100% functioning:

pb.png

I've labeled the push buttons as 1 referring to two N.O switched for the same P.B

The purpose of creating this thread, is to hear comments, and opinions whether if the above circuit is achievable using a single N.O switch from the push button instead of two, without disregarding law referred as [1].

I have such circuits but all of them failed, due to the fact that the same N.O switch even if interfaced to timers, cannot make more than one decision that is passing current or not.

Since all were failed, no need to upload them.

Awaiting your comments.
Dj

Engineering news on Phys.org
DjMadness said:
I've labeled the push buttons as 1 referring to two N.O switched for the same P.B

your circuit is difficult to comprehend, and is not helped by the fact that all your resistor labels are capacitors

how about redrawing the circuit and this time use the correct symbols and labels so we can see more correctly what your circuit is trying to show

also show connections for power supply, label them + and - and indicate the voltage usedDave

Likes berkeman
The OP is using the Industrial Control, Electrician, convention for the schematic

What we Electronic folks would consider a capacitor, are Normally Open relay contacts in their language, with the "R" designation here denoting a "Relay". You will notice that R1 contact has a slash thru it to denote Normally Closed contacts. The rectangles with a slash thru them are relay coils.

On the extreme right, the Circle with an inscribed X is a lamp (slightly non-standard representation).

On the left, top, the symbol labeled "1" with a sideways "T" is a Normally Open Push Button.

(edit) p.s. A search for Ladder Logic or Industrial Control may find some standards for these symbols.

Likes berkeman, DjMadness and davenn
Tom.G said:
The OP is using the Industrial Control, Electrician, convention for the schematic

ahhh
Im not an Industrial Control, Electrician. I'm an electronics tech ... that's not how we techs draw relay contacts it's how we draw non polarised caps :wink:Dave

Likes berkeman
davenn said:
ahhh
Im not an Industrial Control, Electrician. I'm an electronics tech ... that's not how we techs draw relay contacts it's how we draw non polarised caps :wink:Dave
Dear Dave,

No matter what professional you are, if you read right the description I've wrote before uploading the image you can comprehend what I was talking about. Symbols are after all tools to ameliorate comprehension. A non polarized capacitor, generally a ceramic capacitor in electronic circuit can be drawn like N.Os are drawn in my circuit, but if so, the circuit makes no sense, bunch of resistors and capacitors in series/parallel would be flu.

DjMadness said:
Dear Dave,

No matter what professional you are, if you read right the description I've wrote before uploading the image you can comprehend what I was talking about. Symbols are after all tools to ameliorate comprehension. A non polarized capacitor, generally a ceramic capacitor in electronic circuit can be drawn like N.Os are drawn in my circuit, but if so, the circuit makes no sense, bunch of resistors and capacitors in series/parallel would be flu.
I have no idea what you just posted. Thread locked until you can send me a message explaining yourself.

1. How can I create an on/off capability using the same normally opened P.B?

To create an on/off capability using the same normally opened P.B, you can use a circuit called a latch or flip-flop. This circuit uses the P.B as an input, and depending on its previous state, it will output either a high (on) or low (off) signal. This allows you to toggle the on/off function with just one P.B.

2. What components do I need to create this capability?

In addition to the normally opened P.B, you will need a latch or flip-flop circuit, as well as a power source and any necessary wiring. You may also need a breadboard or PCB to build the circuit on.

3. How does the latch or flip-flop circuit work?

The latch or flip-flop circuit uses a combination of logic gates (such as AND, OR, and NOT gates) to remember the previous state of the P.B. When the P.B is pressed, the output will change based on the previous state, creating an on or off signal. This signal can then be used to control a device or system.

4. Can I use a normally closed P.B instead?

Yes, you can also use a normally closed P.B to create an on/off capability using the same concept. However, the circuit and logic gates used may be different, as the input signal will be inverted compared to a normally opened P.B.

5. Are there any other ways to create this capability?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a microcontroller or programming a logic circuit using transistors. These methods may provide more flexibility and control over the on/off function, but they also require more technical knowledge and resources.