What Are Some Options for Programmable Home Automation?

In summary, the person is looking for a way to switch either a standard AC socket or a USB outlet on and off on a programmed cycle. They want to be able to randomize the cycles and have it programmable to the second or millisecond. They are interested in either a device that can be programmed with a computer or triggered remotely with a programmable app. They ask for any ideas on what might work for them and mention a possible solution using a programmable digital device and a heavy duty output switch. They also mention using an Arduino and a Scratch program to achieve their desired outcome. They are cautioned about tinkering with wall power and reminded of the existing industry for home automation products.
pdxuser
I want to switch either a standard AC socket or a USB outlet on and off on a programmed cycle. But although there are many consumer-ready timers available to do this at set times of day, programmable to the minute, I want to be able to randomize the cycles and have it programmable to the second, or even the millisecond.

I think either a device that I can program with a computer or something I could trigger remotely with a programmable app would work. Maybe there's an open source home automation system that would let me do this?

Any ideas on what might work for me, half-baked or not, would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Like you said, you can easily buy these from the store...
But if you are hell bent on designing your own, I would use some sort of programmable digital device on a breadboard.
Use something like VHDL to program it (like a if, when, else state machine).
Obviously your output will be either on or off.
The digitial circuit will trigger it, but you then need your output switch to be heavy duty enough to handle the switching load of your output.
I'm sure there are many ways...but this is just one that popped into my head from senior design in school.

psparky said:
Like you said, you can easily buy these from the store...

Can you find anything that can actually be programmed for random intervals (like any amount of time between 30 and 90 minutes) as well as programmable to at least the second (so something could blink on and off for one second)? This is a level of programming that I haven't found in consumer devices.

You could use one of these:
http://www.powerswitchtail.com/Pages/default.aspx
with one of these:
http://www.arduino.cc/

You would get the device you want and learn something in the process.

You can also hook this:
https://scratch.mit.edu/

up to the Arduino with this:
http://s4a.cat/

If you say "I want a programmable <insert concept or action here>" There is probably a widget out there to get the job done.

BoB

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a switch?

A switch is a device that allows you to connect multiple devices to a network or computer and control the flow of data between them. It works by directing data packets to the appropriate destination based on the device's unique address.

What programming languages can I use to program a switch?

There are several programming languages that can be used to program a switch, including C, C++, Java, Python, and more. The language you choose will depend on the switch's specific operating system and capabilities.

Do I need any special equipment to program a switch?

To program a switch, you will typically need a computer with a console port or network connection to access the switch's command line interface. You may also need a programming cable, depending on the type of switch you are working with.

What are the basic steps to program a switch?

The basic steps to program a switch include connecting to the switch's command line interface, configuring basic settings such as IP address and hostname, setting up VLANs and ports, and implementing any additional features or protocols as needed.

Are there any resources available to help me learn how to program a switch?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn how to program a switch. These include online tutorials, books, videos, and documentation provided by the manufacturer of the switch. You can also seek guidance from experienced network engineers or attend training courses specific to programming switches.