Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup

In summary: Cs.In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a circuit in an aircraft starting mockup that will train students on how to correctly start the aircraft without re-engaging the starter. The circuit should include a 10 second delay timer switch and a buzzer that will go off if the ignition switch is released during the starting sequence. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a microcontroller or a USB digital IO module for this circuit, but no one on the project has experience with them. The suggestion of using a time delay relay is also brought up.
Pilotman Ray
I am stuck in the middle of building a circuit for an aircraft starting mockup that will train our students to correctly start the aircraft without accidentally re-engaging the starter and thus causing very costly maintenance actions. The system is 12v.

We would like to have a 10 second delay timer switch that will turn on a light when the start sequence has been successfully completed. This part seems simple because when the ignition switch is turned to start, it closes the contacts and starts the 10 second delay timer that turns on the light if held closed for 10 seconds. I found one of these timers on amazon but could not find anything for the next part of the mock up.

The complex component of the circuit I can’t figure out is that I would like to have a buzzer in the circuit. If the student accidentally releases the ignition switch even for a moment during the 10 second starting sequence, then this buzzer would go off using something like a latch circuit that turns on and keeps a buzzer on until it is reset.

What is confounding me is how to create this circuit so that the buzzer is not going off when:
1. The system is initially powered up.
2. The contacts are closed when the ignition switch is turned on for a start sequence
3. The 10 second starting sequence is completed successfully and the starting key is released thus opening the starting circuit contacts.

We only want this buzzer to go off if the student fails to hold the ignition contacts closed during the 10 second starting sequence.

Could someone please help me design this circuit and let me know what components I need to in order to build it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pilotman Ray said:
I am stuck in the middle of building a circuit for an aircraft starting mockup that will train our students to correctly start the aircraft without accidentally re-engaging the starter and thus causing very costly maintenance actions. The system is 12v.

We would like to have a 10 second delay timer switch that will turn on a light when the start sequence has been successfully completed. This part seems simple because when the ignition switch is turned to start, it closes the contacts and starts the 10 second delay timer that turns on the light if held closed for 10 seconds. I found one of these timers on amazon but could not find anything for the next part of the mock up.

The complex component of the circuit I can’t figure out is that I would like to have a buzzer in the circuit. If the student accidentally releases the ignition switch even for a moment during the 10 second starting sequence, then this buzzer would go off using something like a latch circuit that turns on and keeps a buzzer on until it is reset.

What is confounding me is how to create this circuit so that the buzzer is not going off when:
1. The system is initially powered up.
2. The contacts are closed when the ignition switch is turned on for a start sequence
3. The 10 second starting sequence is completed successfully and the starting key is released thus opening the starting circuit contacts.

We only want this buzzer to go off if the student fails to hold the ignition contacts closed during the 10 second starting sequence.

Could someone please help me design this circuit and let me know what components I need to in order to build it?
Welcome to the PF.

This is a natural application for a small microcontroller (uC) circuit, using an Arduino for example. Do you or anybody else on this project have any experience building projects with uCs?

Alternately, you could just program this in C on a computer and use a simple USB digital IO module to give you the control signals for the LEDs and buzzer and key switch position detection circuit.

Likes Pilotman Ray
Pilotman Ray said:
You may want to look into Time Delay Relays.

This image from http://www.productsforautomation.com/macromatic-tr60526-interval-time-delay-relay-p/tr-60526.htm

timedelayrelay.jpg

Likes Pilotman Ray
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

This is a natural application for a small microcontroller (uC) circuit, using an Arduino for example. Do you or anybody else on this project have any experience building projects with uCs?

Alternately, you could just program this in C on a computer and use a simple USB digital IO module to give you the control signals for the LEDs and buzzer and key switch position detection circuit.
Unfortunately no one on this project has experience with microcontrollers or uCs. I really appreciate the suggestions and am looking up the possibility of a simple USB digital IO module. Again unfortunately no one on our team has any programing experience. We are a group of pilots and flight instructors with limited exposure in electrical engineering.

Is there a high school or community college nearby with an Electronics Club or Robotics Club? You could propose it as a simple fun project for them. :smile:

Likes Pilotman Ray and anorlunda
Have a look at latching relays .

Can be used as memory or to detect interrupts .

In industry this problem could readily be solved using a relatively low cost Programmable Logic Controller .

These devices are in such common use that you may be able to find a friendly works electrician somewhere that could set one up for you .

Last edited:
The latching relay function can be implemented using standard relays and feedback circuitry . Not difficult to do and often a cheaper option than buying special purpose relays .

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff

1. What is an Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup?

An Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup is a training tool used to simulate the start-up sequence of an aircraft. It is designed to help pilots and ground crew members practice and familiarize themselves with the start-up process without actually using a real aircraft.

2. Why is an Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup important?

An Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup is important because it allows pilots and ground crew members to practice and improve their skills in a safe and controlled environment. It also helps to reduce the risk of accidents or errors during the actual start-up process.

3. How does an Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup work?

An Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup is typically a physical replica of the cockpit and controls of an aircraft. It may also include computer simulations and virtual reality technology to provide a realistic training experience. Users can interact with the trainer/mockup as they would with a real aircraft, following the start-up sequence step-by-step.

4. What are the benefits of using an Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup?

Using an Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup can help pilots and ground crew members to improve their efficiency, speed, and accuracy when starting up an aircraft. It can also help to identify and correct any mistakes or misunderstandings in the start-up process before they occur in a real-world situation.

5. Is an Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup used for all types of aircraft?

Yes, an Aircraft Start Sequence Trainer/Mockup can be designed and customized for different types of aircraft, including commercial, military, and private planes. It can also be tailored to specific models and configurations of aircraft to provide a more realistic training experience.