Light Interference Webassign question

In summary, The conversation discusses the problem of calculating the number of bright fringes that appear when illuminating two glass plates with a wire of a certain radius using light of a specific wavelength. The equation used to solve this problem is 2t=(m+1/2)*wavelength, with the maximum value of m being 4. The solution is found to be 228 bright fringes, with the realization that the values of m start at 0.
nickredsox

Homework Statement

Light of wavelength 525 nm is used to illuminate normally two glass plates 26 cm in length that touch at one end and are separated at the other end by a wire of radius 0.03 mm. How many bright fringes appear along the total length of the plates?

Homework Equations

2*t=(m+1/2)*wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought t would be .6 since that would be the diameter. Then I solved for m and got 228. However webassign doesn't like this answer and I am not really sure how to go about this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
You solved for the maximum value of m, but realize that m starts at zero.

im not really understanding because if i solve for t when m=0 if i plug it back in and solve for m I am just going to get 0

You're missing my point. The values of m: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4... If the maximum value of m = 4 (pretend), then how many values of m are there?

there would be five. so for my answer it should be one more than the answer i already got (228)?

That's what I would put.

thank you a lot it worked

1. What is light interference?

Light interference is the phenomenon where two or more light waves interact with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference. Constructive interference occurs when the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, while destructive interference occurs when the waves cancel each other out.

2. How does light interference impact our everyday lives?

Light interference plays a crucial role in many areas of our lives, from technology such as fiber optics and holograms to natural phenomena like rainbows. It also allows us to see colors and patterns, as the interference of light waves creates different wavelengths that our eyes perceive as different colors.

3. What is the difference between interference of light and interference of sound?

Interference of light and sound are both examples of wave interference, but there are some key differences. Light is an electromagnetic wave that can interfere with itself, while sound is a mechanical wave that requires a medium to travel through. Light interference also results in the formation of distinct patterns, while sound interference typically results in a change in volume or pitch.

4. How is light interference used in research and experiments?

Light interference is commonly used in scientific experiments to study the properties of light and to determine the thickness of thin films. It is also used in research on diffraction and diffraction gratings, which can be used for various applications such as spectrometry and optical storage.

5. What is the difference between single-slit and double-slit interference?

In single-slit interference, a single source of light passes through a narrow slit and produces a diffraction pattern. In double-slit interference, the light passes through two narrow slits, resulting in a more complex interference pattern. This pattern is used to study the wave properties of light and determine its wavelength.