Thin Film Interference Problem: A hair is placed at the edge .

In summary: Now, the angle in radians is the arc length divided by the radius of the circle. In this case the arc length is .1 meters. So, the radius of the circle must be .1 / 5E-4 or 2E2 meters. And the radius of the circle is the thickness of the gap. So, the thickness of the gap is 2E2 meters or 20 cm.
nontradstuden
Thin Film Interference Problem: A hair is placed at the edge...

Homework Statement

Thin Film Interference Problem: A hair is placed at the edge between two 10.0 cm glass plates of n= 1.52.
Light of 400 nm wavelength shines on the glass and an interference pattern is formed. If the separation between the second and fourth dark fringe is measured to be 0.800 mm, find the diameter of the hair.

Homework Equations

I think I'm supposed to use the equation 2*d = m*L_air / n_glass, where L is the wavelength , but I don't know how to solve for m, what to take from the rest of the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem and I don't know how to find m. I thought about maybe m is the length of a glass plate divided by the length of one fringe which is the distance from the second to the fourth fringe divided by 3?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
m is related to the fringe number

how do I find the fringe number? When I look at problems similar to this they are given a total number of fringes, like 171 dark fringes. How do I find this total number of fringes?

Find the thickness between the plates where the 1st dark fringe occurs.
You know the distance between fringes, .800/2
Find the angle
inish the problem

Ohh, thank you very much for your help, barryj!

Still very confused.

I have a question about the distance given, the distance between the second and fourth dark fringes.

The solution given in class today was

0.0008 m= ( 2*3-1)* (400* 10^-9 m * .1 m) / 4*d

rearrange and solved for d to get the diameter of the hair. I know this problem is simple, but I don't understand what's going on.

the equation used to solve for d is the equation for the location of a bright fringe

x_m = (2*m-1) * Lambda* l/ 4d with

m=3
l= .1m
Lambda= 400 *10^-9 m.

Isn't x_m supposed to be the distance/position wrt to the m=0 fringe?
Why isn't x_m for x_3= .0008m (the distance from the 2nd to the 4th dark fringe) + .0008m/2 ?
Why did they use the bright fringe equation with m=3?

I asked my TA, but I still don't understand. I can't go any further until I do.

I would think about it this way.

The distance between adjacent dark lines will be .0008/2 = .0004 metersThese is a dark line where the glass touches because there is a 180 shift at one glass surface and no shift at the other. Adding gives a dark line. Now, the next dark line will be when 2 X (gap thickness) = 1 wavelength of light at 400E-9 meters. So I figure that the angle of the glass, in radians, will be 200E-9/.0004. Now if the slass is 0.1 meters long, the thickness at 0.1 meters shoulod be .. recalling d = r X theta = 0.1 X 200E-9/.0004 = 5E-5 meters

BTW, I don't think the index of refraction of the glass matters because the interference is due to the path delay in the air, not the glass.

Let me clarify. At a distance of .0004 meters from where the glass plates touch will be where the second dark line occurs. The first line will be where the glass touches. At that point, the 2 X (gap thickness) must be a wavelength of the light. This means the thickness must be 200E-9 nm. So, the angle, in radians will be the thickness of the gap divided by .0004 = 200E-9/.0004 = 5E-4 radians.

What is thin film interference and how does it relate to the problem of a hair placed at the edge?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of two surfaces of a thin film, such as a soap bubble or a layer of oil on water. This results in the interference of the light waves, causing certain colors to appear more vibrant or even cancel out completely. In the case of a hair placed at the edge, the hair acts as a thin film, causing interference patterns to occur when light is reflected off of its surface.

What factors influence the interference patterns observed in the thin film interference problem?

The thickness of the thin film, the angle at which light hits the film, and the refractive indices of the materials involved all play a role in the interference patterns observed. Additionally, the wavelength of the light and the distance between the two reflecting surfaces also impact the interference patterns.

How does the color of the hair affect the interference patterns in the thin film interference problem?

The color of the hair does not have a significant impact on the interference patterns observed. This is because the interference patterns are primarily influenced by the thickness of the hair, rather than its color. However, if the hair is dyed or has a different refractive index than the surrounding air, it may slightly alter the interference patterns.

Can the thin film interference problem be solved using mathematical equations?

Yes, the thin film interference problem can be solved using mathematical equations such as the Fresnel equations or the Airy equation. These equations take into account the various factors that influence the interference patterns, allowing for a more precise prediction of the observed patterns.

What practical applications does the understanding of thin film interference have?

Understanding thin film interference has many practical applications, such as in the production of anti-reflective coatings for glasses and electronic devices, as well as in the creation of vibrant colors in thin film technology. It is also important in fields such as astronomy, where the interference of light waves can provide valuable information about the composition of celestial bodies.