Thin film interference—find the height of a wedge

In summary, two rectangular pieces of plane glass are placed on a table with one end in contact and the other end separated by a thin wedge of air formed by a piece of paper. When illuminated with 510 nm light at normal incidence, interference fringes are observed with a frequency of 14.0 fringes per centimetre. Using the equation 2t=m*λ, with m being the number of fringes, the thickness of the paper can be calculated to be approximately 3.927e-6 cm. After realizing a mistake in the calculation, it is corrected to be 0.000003927 cm, or about a factor of 10 thinner than the initial calculation.
madfelice

Homework Statement

Two rectangular pieces of plane glass 11.0 cm long are laid upon the other on a table. At one end they are in contact, at the other end they are separated by a piece of paper, which forms a thin wedge of air. The plates are illuminated at normal incidence by 510 nm light. Interference fringes are observed with 14.0 fringes per centimetre. Find the thickness of the piece of paper.

Homework Equations

2t=m*λ

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, so if I take 2t=m*λ
m=14/0.01*0.011(not sure I have the right number here?)=15.4
so t=(m*λ)/2
t = (15.4(510e-9))/2
t = 3.927e-6
do I have it right or have I messed up m=

Physics news on Phys.org
If there are 14 fringes per centimeter, how many fringes are there on 11 cm ?

I think I have figured it out, I should be multiplying by 0.11, not 0.011, right? That gives me the same answer but one decimal place difference.

A factor 10 bigger does not constitute 'the same answer'

It's still a very thin sheet of paper, but no longer unlikely.

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, such as a soap bubble or oil slick. These reflected waves can interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark areas.

2. How does thin film interference help find the height of a wedge?

Thin film interference can be used to determine the thickness of a thin film, such as a wedge, by studying the pattern of light interference. By measuring the distance between bright and dark fringes, the height of the wedge can be calculated using the formula h = λ/2n, where h is the height, λ is the wavelength of light, and n is the refractive index of the film.

3. What factors affect thin film interference?

The primary factors that affect thin film interference include the thickness of the film, the refractive index of the film material, and the wavelength of light. Changes in any of these factors can result in a different interference pattern.

4. How can thin film interference be observed?

Thin film interference can be observed using a variety of methods, such as shining a light through a soap bubble or using a thin film interference apparatus. Specialized equipment, such as a spectrometer, can also be used to measure and analyze the interference pattern.

5. What are some real-world applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference has many practical applications, including in anti-reflective coatings for glasses and camera lenses, in the production of holograms and other optical devices, and in quality control for industrial products such as CDs and DVDs. It is also studied in the field of nanotechnology, where thin films are used to create precise and customizable structures.