Shear stress in pins

by cwckc7
Tags: pins, shear, stress
cwckc7
Dec2-08, 05:59 PM
P: 1
Alright so I'm working on my statics homework and am working on Shear Stress. I know that stress is the force divided by the cross sectional area, but how do I do it for these pins? I've solved for the forces in each pin by using the 3 equilibrium equations, can someone nudge me in the right direction?
Attached Thumbnails
stuff.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
PhanthomJay
Dec2-08, 09:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 5,963
Quote Quote by cwckc7 View Post
Alright so I'm working on my statics homework and am working on Shear Stress. I know that stress is the force divided by the cross sectional area, but how do I do it for these pins? I've solved for the forces in each pin by using the 3 equilibrium equations, can someone nudge me in the right direction?
If you've calculated the reactions and forces in the pins correcty, each of which has components in the x and y directions, then the shear stress is just the resultant force at each of those pins divided by the cross sectional area of the pins, (or twice the cross sectional area if the pin is in double shear).

Register to reply