Shear force at different parts of beam

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question regarding the calculation of shear stress using the formula of $$\tau = VQ / It$$. The person is unsure about the location of the points where the shear stress is measured and wants to confirm their concept. The problem asks for the shear stress at a specific distance from a pinned support and the correct value to use for V is 18.33.
fonseh

Homework Statement

i know this question can't be done(since the location of point where the tau 1 and tau2 are measured are unknown) , but i want just want to check whether my concept is correct or not . we know that the shear stress has formula of $$\tau = VQ / It$$ , the question want the shear stress at 2m from the pinned support .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so , the V used to find the shear stress is the maximum shear stress(48.33), right ? it's not the shear force V at the section 2m from pinned support(18.33) , as i indicated in the digram . Correct me if I'm wrong

Attachments

• 448.PNG
    448.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 15271235_1459529600727122_1700342978_o.jpg
    15271235_1459529600727122_1700342978_o.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 333
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks you to determine the shear stresses at 2 m.

PhanthomJay said:
The problem asks you to determine the shear stresses at 2 m.
so , i should use 18.33?

fonseh said:
so , i should use 18.33?
Yes

1. What is shear force at different parts of beam?

Shear force at different parts of beam refers to the internal force that acts in a perpendicular direction to the longitudinal axis of the beam. It is caused by external loads, such as weight or pressure, acting on the beam.

2. How is shear force calculated?

Shear force can be calculated by taking the sum of all the external forces acting on one side of the beam at a specific point, and subtracting the sum of all the external forces acting on the other side of the beam at the same point.

3. What are the units of shear force?

The units of shear force are typically Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

4. How does shear force vary along a beam?

Shear force is not constant along a beam, and it varies depending on the location and type of external loads acting on the beam. It is highest at the points where the external loads are applied and decreases towards the center of the beam.

5. Why is shear force important in beam design?

Shear force is important in beam design because it helps determine the structural integrity and strength of a beam. It is used to calculate the maximum load a beam can withstand and helps engineers determine the appropriate size and shape of the beam for a given application.