Analyzing Shear & Bending on Idealized Cross Section

In summary, when analyzing a cross-section, the shear center is the location where the shear forces are not applied. If there is a torque present, the shear forces must be reshuffled and recomputed.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
POINT A)
Calculate the internal shear force and bending moment(no torque) that would cause the internal stress state given above. Clearly indicated both magnitude and direction, and
show/describe how you arrive at this answer. You may assume the internal loads act at the centroid.

POINT B)
Your colleague seems to recall that also an internal torque was present in the original loading of the structure. Indicate whether you agree or disagree with your colleagues recollection.
You do not need to calculate the internal torque, simply identify if it would be zero or non-zero and
provide sufficient reasoning for your decision.
Relevant Equations
Shear flow distribution resulting from applied shear force and torque,
Internal normal stress resulting from internal bending moment
1675161877631.png
As you can see from the picture, the cross section to analyze is idealized and the boom areas resulting from this are given.
For POINT A) all I did was:
  • for determining the shear forces, integrating the shear flows over the sides to compute the vertical and horizontal contribution of each side to the shear forces: sum of vertical contributions will be ##V_y##, sum of horizontal ##V_x##
  • for determining the internal bending moments, calculting MsOI ##I_{xx}## and ##I_{yy}##(##I_{xy}=0## because of symmetry) and taking the normal stresses in two booms(e.g., 1 and 2) to solve the system of eqs. below for ##M_x## and ##M_y##: $$\left\{\begin{matrix}
    \sigma_1=\frac{M_x}{I_{xx}}y_1+\frac{M_y}{I_{yy}}x_1 \\
    \sigma_2=\frac{M_x}{I_{xx}}y_2+\frac{M_y}{I_{yy}}x_2 \\
    \end{matrix}\right.$$
This gives results for ##V_x, \ V_y, \ M_x, \ M_y##
When it comes to POINT B) though, I get quite confused. What I would do is calculating the shear center SC(in this case, reading the statement of POINT A) I am led to think and assume that this coincides with the centroid C of the section even though this is not true in general; what do you think about this?) of the cross section and then take the moment generated by the shear flow distribution around that point: if the resulting moment is zero, then no torque is present; if it differs from zero, then it means that a torque is acting on the cross section.
Would this make sense? If no, what would? If yes, is there any other(smarter) way to answer the question?

Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes greg_rack
Lnewqban said:
The shear center location is the key in this problem.

Look for 8.4 in the following link:
https://ocw.snu.ac.kr/sites/default/files/NOTE/7511.pdf

“If the sear forces are not applied at the shear center, the beam will undergo both bending and twisting.”
Thank you for sharing this! Then here, quoting the problem statement:
"You may assume the internal loads act at the centroid."
Which means we can approximate the SC to be located @ C, as internal loads do not cause twisting by definition... correct?
So in this case, for figuring out whether we could or could not have torsion, we just take moments from the shear distribution about C and see whether they add up to 0 or nah(?)

That is how I see it.

Thank you @Lnewqban for your answer!

Another doubt I have regarding to this is: what if I instead took moments about some point other than the SC?
If we don't have torque in the cross section, does this mean that about any point the moments originating from the shear flow distribution must add up to 0? Or does this hold ONLY when we compute such moments about the SC(again, C in this case)?
I know this might sound trivial but it's actually confusing me quite a lot.

Lastly, still with respect to this problem: the ##V_y, \ V_x## we had calculated, assumed no torque. Right?
So if we would now say a torque actually is present, the shear forces would have to be "reshuffled" and recomputed as also the torque would contribute to the final shear flow distribution

Last edited:

1. What is shear and bending on an idealized cross section?

Shear and bending on an idealized cross section refer to the internal forces and moments acting on a structural component, such as a beam or column, due to external loads. These forces and moments cause the component to deform and can potentially lead to failure.

2. How do you analyze shear and bending on an idealized cross section?

To analyze shear and bending on an idealized cross section, you must first determine the external loads acting on the component. Then, you can use equations and diagrams, such as shear and moment diagrams, to calculate the internal forces and moments at different points along the cross section.

3. What factors affect shear and bending on an idealized cross section?

The factors that affect shear and bending on an idealized cross section include the type and magnitude of external loads, the material properties of the component, and the geometry of the cross section. The location and type of supports also play a role in determining the internal forces and moments.

4. Why is it important to analyze shear and bending on an idealized cross section?

Analyzing shear and bending on an idealized cross section is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a component. By understanding the internal forces and moments, engineers can design components that can withstand the expected loads and prevent failure.

5. What are some common methods for analyzing shear and bending on an idealized cross section?

Some common methods for analyzing shear and bending on an idealized cross section include the method of sections, the method of joints, and the moment distribution method. These methods use equations and diagrams to determine the internal forces and moments at different points along the cross section.