Register to reply

Intermediate Level Books

by theFuture
Tags: books, intermediate
Share this thread:
theFuture
May30-04, 04:43 PM
P: 80
I'm looking for good intermediate level statistical mech. and E/M books. Any suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Tom Mattson
May30-04, 06:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,532
As far as EM books go, the best one is by Griffiths. The book by Wangsness is also highly recommended.
Dr Transport
May30-04, 07:35 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,475
Wangsness is the book to learn from, consistent notation, and an orderly presentation.

For staistical mechanics, try Reif, in the Berkeley series, then go on to Sears and Zemansky, followed by Reif from teh McGraw Hill series.

theFuture
May30-04, 07:46 PM
P: 80
Intermediate Level Books

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
asdfjkl
Jun4-04, 03:12 PM
P: 6
Griffiths for E&M is great.
I would suggest Schroeder for Stat Mech, it is very good (and half the price). I used it as an undergraduate.
maverick280857
Jun5-04, 01:29 AM
P: 1,780
Hi

Apart from Griffiths, Jackson and Cheng are good books too...if you want to read EM in depth, a good look at all three is a good idea...

Cheers
Vivek

Register to reply