Recommendation: Graduate level thermo/Stat mech text

In summary: Powell Thermodynamics and Statistical MechanicsIn summary, the recommended book for a graduate stat mech course is "Foundations of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by F. Reif. Another excellent book is vol. V of Landau&Lifshitz.
KCook3824
Hello all,

I'm taking a graduate stat mech course that does not use a text and could really use a good text for reference and supplemental reading. It's been about 13 years since my last thermodynamics course so hoping such a text would have a decent review of thermodynamic relations and quantities (though I'm not opposed to a separate text for that either).

My instructor recommended "Foundations of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by F. Reif to the class, which is...ok but hoping to find something that work better for me personally.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Reif is excellent but pretty advanced and sometimes lengthy. To get a better overview just take the Statistical-Physics volume of the Berkeley Physics course, which is also written by the same author (sometimes it's referred to as "the little Reif").

Another excellent text is vol. V of Landau&Lifshitz.

Likes LittleSchwinger, Demystifier, Lord Jestocost and 2 others
Reif should be good as a direct reference. If you want an undergraduate text as an additional companion, I recommend Schroeder. Sears and Salinger is okay also. Those are the only two I have good opinions of based on my experience. There may be many other good texts for intuition and review of the basics.

Likes Lnewqban
KCook3824 said:
Foundations of Statistical and Thermal Physics
Do you mean "Foundations" or "Fundamentals"? Reif wrote several books - at least two famous ones - and "Fundamentals" is one of them.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you mean "Foundations" or "Fundamentals"? Reif wrote several books - at least two famous ones - and "Fundamentals" is one of them.
Yes you're right. I wasn't right in front of the book when I posted this and got that wrong. Thanks for the correction.

Sounds like Reif is one of the better texts. I should have thought about Landau and Lifshitz, and will take a look at that as well. Thanks everyone

Reif is a good book.
I'm not sure if the Landau and Lifschitz book is actually Landau and Lifschitz. It may be Lifschitz and Pitaevskii. As a a general rule, L&L is more a guide for working through the material than a book where you can look up things that are maybe unclear from other books.

Likes Demystifier
I was referring to vol. V of Landau&Lifshitz. The 3rd edition was revised and enlarged by Lifshitz and Pitaevsky. As is characteristic for this textbook series it comes straight to the point and emphasizes the physical concepts. I also like Reif's "Fundamentals of statistical and thermal pysics", but I find it sometimes a bit long-winded.

vanhees71 said:
I find it sometimes a bit long-winded.
And I find Landau a bit terse.

"One can easily show"...yeah, if your name is Landau. Mere mortals require a ream of paper and a free afternoon.

One of the statements in QM/Vol. III is "the natural coordinate system for solving the hydrogen atom is"...wait for it..."parabolic." Landau is 100% right here, but for someone just starting out, the reasons why - had Landau chosen to give any - are obscure mumbo-jumbo: For beginners "because SO(4) breaks to two SU(2)s" is not helpful, nor is "first you need to think about the analogue of the Runge-Lenz vector".

"Good to know" is not the same as "a good place to start."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Prit, andresB, PhDeezNutz and 3 others
I also don't think that LL3 is a good book for a first encounter with QT. Historically the first solution for the Hydrogen atom indeed used the SO(4) symmetry and the Runge-Lenz vector. It's by Pauli, using Born-Jordan-Heisenberg matrix mechanics ;-). Not that Pauli was a "mere mortal".

• Informative
Likes Demystifier
These might also be of use

Callen Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics
Becker Theory of Heat
Pippard Classical Thermodynamics

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the best graduate level textbook for thermo/statistical mechanics?

The best graduate level textbook for thermo/statistical mechanics will vary depending on personal learning style and the specific topics covered in the course. However, some popular options include "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by Herbert Callen, "Statistical Mechanics" by Pathria and Beale, and "Thermal Physics" by Kittel and Kroemer.

2. What are the key topics that should be covered in a graduate level thermo/stat mech course?

A graduate level thermo/stat mech course should cover topics such as thermodynamic laws and concepts, statistical ensembles, partition functions, phase transitions, and applications to real-world systems. It may also include advanced topics such as quantum statistical mechanics and non-equilibrium thermodynamics.

3. How can I supplement my understanding of thermo/stat mech beyond the textbook?

Supplementing your understanding of thermo/stat mech beyond the textbook can be done through various methods such as attending lectures or seminars, participating in research projects, and using online resources such as videos, simulations, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to discuss and collaborate with classmates and professors.

4. Are there any recommended resources for practicing problems in thermo/stat mech?

Yes, there are many resources available for practicing problems in thermo/stat mech. Some popular options include problem sets from textbooks, online problem banks, and practice exams from previous courses or exams. It can also be helpful to work on problems with classmates or seek guidance from professors or teaching assistants.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned in a graduate level thermo/stat mech course to real-world situations?

The concepts learned in a graduate level thermo/stat mech course can be applied to a wide range of real-world situations, such as understanding the behavior of materials in different environments, predicting and analyzing phase transitions in physical systems, and designing and optimizing thermodynamic processes. It can also be applied to fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.