Register to reply

Is it possible to convert kg/(kWh) to litres/100m ?

Share this thread:
nb89
Feb15-09, 01:13 PM
P: 37
kg/kWhour into litres/100m? is this possible, and if so how? what happens to the hour?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
CompuChip
Feb15-09, 01:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
I would be more curious what happens to the kW and the meters.

Do you have a specific system in mind?

Or do you want to do the conversion by using physical constants (such as c and hbar), because then I think it is not possible (kg/kWh ~ s / m^2 while l/m ~ m^2).
D H
Feb15-09, 01:54 PM
Mentor
P: 15,065
Quote Quote by CompuChip View Post
kg/kWh ~ s / m^2 while l/m ~ m^2
Close.

What CompuChip is talking about is dimensional analysis. kg/kWh has dimensions of time2/length2, while liters/meter has dimensions of length2.

You can only convert from one form to another if both forms have the same dimensions. For example, you can convert from miles per hour to meters per second because both are in the form of length/time. There is no conversion from kg/kWh to liters/meter because the two forms are incommensurable.

CompuChip
Feb15-09, 04:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Is it possible to convert kg/(kWh) to litres/100m ?

D H explained my post very well. There are however two exceptions:
1) Physical constants are not mentioned; for example energy and mass have very different units (kg m^2 / s^2 and kg, respectively) although multiplying by the speed of light squared converts one into the other
2) There is some specific system which makes a conversion possible, for example: a water heater doing so-many kW of work will heat so many water by 1 degree (actually, this case looks a lot like 1, with the "missing" quantity being the specific heat of water which can convert Joules to degrees per kilogram, for example).

Register to reply