Converting Units: How to Convert 1.6*10^7 N/cm^2 to kg/cm^2

• I
  • Thread starter kasnay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary: Most people use cm because it is the international standard unit for length. The metric system uses the metric prefixes like kilo, mega, and giga to indicate multiples of 1000, 1000, and 1000 respectively. So you might see something like ##1 \mathrm kg^{-1} = 1000 \mathrm kg##. But that's okay, because ##1 \mathrm kg^2=1000 \mathrm kg##. I also don't see any problem to use cm within the SI. Why should this be a problem?
kasnay
Im trying to us 1.6*10^7 N/cm^2. this breaks to (kg*m/s^2)/cm^2. I need my units in terms of cm. So can I convert 1.6*10^7 kgm/s^2/cm^2 to
1.6*10^11 (kgm/s^2)/(m^2) then reduce to 1.6*10^11 kg/ms^2. The go back to cm and have 1.67*10^9kg/cms^2

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
kasnay said:
(kg*m/s^2)/cm^2. I need my units in terms of cm.
First, it's pretty hard to read this when you don't use LaTeX. Please read the LaTeX Guide link below the Edit window to start using LaTeX. Thank you.

Second, I don't understand what you mean when you say you want to convert from ##cm^2## to ##cm##. Those are not compatible...

Likes Delta2
Also, most of your equation uses ##mks## units, and it's generally bad to mix ##cm## into ##mks## equations...

Better yet, please explain why you feel you need to make that conversion and we might be able to help you with that.

Likes nasu
kasnay said:
Im trying to us 1.6*10^7 N/cm^2. this breaks to (kg*m/s^2)/cm^2. I need my units in terms of cm. So can I convert 1.6*10^7 kgm/s^2/cm^2 to
1.6*10^11 (kgm/s^2)/(m^2) then reduce to 1.6*10^11 kg/ms^2. The go back to cm and have 1.67*10^9kg/cms^2
Yes, ##1.6 \ 10^7 \mathrm{\ N/cm^2}=1.6 \ 10^9 \mathrm{ \ kg/(cm \ s^2)}##

Likes Delta2, symbolipoint and bob012345
berkeman said:
First, it's pretty hard to read this when you don't use LaTeX. Please read the LaTeX Guide link below the Edit window to start using LaTeX. Thank you.

Second, I don't understand what you mean when you say you want to convert from ##cm^2## to ##cm##. Those are not compatible...
Also note that units must be typeset in Roman (non-italic) symbols!

vanhees71 said:
Also note that units must be typeset in Roman (non-italic) symbols!
Interesting! I just used the default LaTeX font. How would I switch fonts in LaTeX? I'm off to the LaTeX Guide for some research...

Okay, I see how to switch to Roman, but don't see yet how to switch back to the default font...

1654724035448.png

##\mathrm cm^2##

berkeman said:
Interesting! I just used the default LaTeX font. How would I switch fonts in LaTeX? I'm off to the LaTeX Guide for some research...
You have to use \mathrm{m} to typeset the symbol for the unit meter within a formula: ##\mathrm{m}##. To get ##A=1 \mathrm{cm}^2## just type a=1 \mathrm{cm}^2.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I know there's no good alternative, but Latex sucks IMO.

anorlunda said:
I know there's no good alternative, but Latex sucks IMO.
What I find annoying is that sometimes the characters don't line up properly. Look at ##A=1 \mathrm{cm}^2##. The bottom of the c is not properly lined up with the bottom of the m. Sometimes I find it convenient to use the default font instead of \mathrm{} as in ##A=1~##cm##^2##. In LaTeX #A=1~#cm#^2# where all # signs are doubled. That lines up the characters nicely.

kasnay said:
Im trying to us 1.6*10^7 N/cm^2. this breaks to (kg*m/s^2)/cm^2. I need my units in terms of cm.
But it's ok to use kilograms instead of grams?

Likes berkeman
You can use any units you wish as long as you are clear about what they are. An exception might be when you enter quantities as answers to online homework problems. There you have to enter the numbers in the units the algorithm expects from you.

Likes vanhees71
Mister T said:
But it's ok to use kilograms instead of grams?
I also don't see any problem to use cm within the SI. Why should this be a problem?

What is unit conversion?

Unit conversion is the process of changing a measurement from one unit to another. This is often necessary when working with different systems of measurement or when comparing measurements from different sources.

Why is unit conversion important?

Unit conversion is important because it allows for accurate and consistent measurement across different systems. It also allows for easier comparison and understanding of data from various sources.

What are some common units that need to be converted?

Some common units that need to be converted include length (meters, feet, inches), weight (kilograms, pounds, ounces), volume (liters, gallons, cubic feet), and temperature (Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin).

How do I convert units?

To convert units, you will need to know the conversion factor between the two units. This can be found in conversion tables or calculated by using conversion formulas. Multiply the original measurement by the conversion factor to get the converted value.

Are there any online tools or resources for unit conversion?

Yes, there are many online tools and resources available for unit conversion. Some popular ones include unit conversion calculators, conversion tables, and conversion apps. It is important to double check the accuracy of these tools before using them for important measurements.