How do I convert mass units in physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a table of equivalencies for units related to physics, specifically for stiffness, mass, and frequency. The individual is struggling with converting between mass units and is seeking clarification on the proper steps to take. They also mention the confusion with US units and the concept of mass vs. weight. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to focus on understanding and practicing physics problems before tackling conversions.
isai
I am enrolled in a course related with physics, and we have a table of equivalencies of units to get the right units of frequencies.

Code:
    Stiffness   Mass        Frequency
    tonf/m      ton.s^2/m   rad/s
    kN/m        ton         rad/s
    N/m         kg          rad/s
    kgf/m       kgf.s^2/m   rad/s

I have always work with the third row, but I want to understand the conversion between mass units only; for example to convert mass from kg to kgf.s2/m. What I have to do it?

I have always a problem for this: if I have 50kgf, so to get the mass value for this force, I have to divide by gravity, and I have kgf-s2/m. Furthermore, if I want to convert first to Newtons, then, I have to multiply by 9.80N, and finally divide by gravity to get the mass, and the value of mass is 50kg, different from the other calculation. What have I done wrong?

Please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This seems to be the mass multiplied by the gravitational acceleration g. You don't need that.
The US units have this weird mass/weight confusion where "pound" can be both, the metric system does not.

Likes gmax137
Many engineers use "kilogram-force" analogous to the US concept of "pounds-force" -- simply because of the convenience when designing bridges which cross rivers on the surface of the Earth (where g=9.8 m/sec^2). In my opinion this isn't a good idea, I think it is mostly older engineers who were schooled in the "customary units" and switched to SI later.

If (when) you get confused, write down F=ma and see that mass has units F/a.

@mfb is right, this can be very confusing and hard to keep straight in your mind. If you are new to physics it would be better to leave this alone for now, and look at it again later after you have done a lot of problems, then it will make more sense.

1. What is a mass unit?

A mass unit is a standard unit of measurement used to quantify the amount of matter in an object. It is commonly used in the field of science to measure the weight of objects and is an important concept in understanding the physical properties of matter.

2. How many mass units are there?

There are several mass units, but the most commonly used unit is the kilogram (kg). Other units include grams (g), pounds (lb), and ounces (oz).

3. How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measurement of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How do you convert between different mass units?

To convert between different mass units, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from kilograms to pounds, you can multiply the number of kilograms by 2.20462. It is important to note that conversion factors may vary slightly depending on the unit and should be double-checked.

5. Why is it important to understand mass units?

Understanding mass units is important in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It allows us to accurately measure and compare the weight of objects, and also helps us understand the physical properties of matter and how it interacts with other objects in the world.