Register to reply

Need Help finding an equation for drum sound!

by Keeez
Tags: drum, equation, sound
Share this thread:
Keeez
Mar25-09, 08:24 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Assignment to create and explain the physics behind a musical instrument, I am doing a drum. I need to find a formula that governs how it produces notes, and cant find one (been searching for atleast an hour now with no luck). Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Dr.D
Mar25-09, 10:06 PM
P: 619
A whole hour! Wow!!

Search some more under headings like "drumhead vibrations", "vibration of a circular membrane," and perhaps "tympani".
Keeez
Mar25-09, 10:14 PM
It is when its spent looking for an answer for 2 of the required questions and you have 4 hours to finish all 15. Thanks for the tips though.

berkeman
Mar25-09, 10:45 PM
Mentor
P: 41,345
Need Help finding an equation for drum sound!

Quote Quote by Keeez View Post
It is when its spent looking for an answer for 2 of the required questions and you have 4 hours to finish all 15. Thanks for the tips though.
Wow. Must be a pretty difficult take-home final. 4 hours for 15 questions. Um, or did you wait until the last minute to start the assignment? Whatever, welcome to the PF anyway.

Another search term (or look in your text) is "standing wave".
Keeez
Mar26-09, 03:56 PM
Last moment for a worksheet we had to hand in, need much more detail in a presentation to go with the actual drum. I found one equation last night but don't understand it (in 11th grade, dont learn calaculus until next year). I'll try to find something better with that, thanks!

Register to reply