The theory behind sound generation from spinning objects

• Thread starter Juan2g19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rpm
Juan2g19
Homework Statement
I am doing a physics research project for school and am struggling to find the relevant theory for my case.
Relevant Equations
NA
I am doing a research project investigating the relation between the rpm of an object and the frequency of the sound it generates. The set up is as follows; I am spinning a fidget spinner with a water pressure kit then recording its rpm and the frequency of the sound it creates from its fast spinning. I have collected results and everything's going well except for the fact that I can't find the theory behind this to explain why sound is generated. I have found many research papers on sound generated aerodynamically with plane engines, fans and wind turbines but they all talk about the effects of turbulence on the generated sound. This does not apply to me as I conducted the experiment when there was hardly any wind and the spider was clamped down without movement.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area or any links that could be helpful? I'd really appreciate anything, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Juan2g19 said:
they all talk about the effects of turbulence on the generated sound. This does not apply to me as I conducted the experiment when there was hardly any wind
Turbulence will arise from the relative motion of the surface of the spinner and the surrounding air.

Likes nasu
Ok thanks a lot for replying so quickly. I'll keep looking at what I found earlier that involves sound generation due to turbulence and try and find examples using gyroscopes then.

What do you mean here by "spider"? It's related to your water system?

Sorry, I meant to say spinner. I am still struggling to find equations / relationships that could help me link rpm with generated noise frequency but now that I think about it there probably aren't many as the generated noise frequency depends on so many other factors than just the objects rpm right?

Juan2g19 said:
Sorry, I meant to say spinner. I am still struggling to find equations / relationships that could help me link rpm with generated noise frequency but now that I think about it there probably aren't many as the generated noise frequency depends on so many other factors than just the objects rpm right?
Whatever the source of noise, its frequency is likely to increase in proportion to the rotation rate. E.g. if there are N vertical struts around it and it rotates at r rotations per unit of time then I would expect a frequency of Nr.
An exception might be noise coming from ground contact.

Likes nasu
Juan2g19 said:
The set up is as follows; I am spinning a fidget spinner with a water pressure kit then recording its rpm and the frequency of the sound it creates from its fast spinning. I have collected results and everything's going well except for the fact that I can't find the theory behind this to explain why sound is generated.

How are you using a "water pressure kit" to spin the fidget spinner? That sounds like a noisy way to spin the fidget to me. If you want to investigate the sound generated by the spinning fidget (or anything else), you should minimize the noise from other sources. Use a quiet DC electric motor, for example.

As to how the sound is created, just think about the sound created by waving a manila folder once past a microphone. The microphone picks up a single "woosh" sound. Wave the folder at 2 times per second past the microphone, and you get that many "woosh" sounds per second. You can analyze the "woosh" sounds (using an FFT or whatever) if you want more information about the air turbulence, but fundamentally the sound is the driving function plus harmonics and turbulence.

1693690912383.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z872X1/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1. What is the theory behind sound generation from spinning objects?

The theory behind sound generation from spinning objects is based on the concept of vibrations. When an object spins, it creates vibrations in the air molecules around it. These vibrations travel through the air as sound waves, which our ears can detect and interpret as sound.

2. Why do spinning objects create sound?

Spinning objects create sound because of the vibrations they produce. As the object spins, it causes the air molecules around it to vibrate, which creates sound waves. The frequency and intensity of the sound depend on the speed and surface texture of the spinning object.

3. How does the speed of a spinning object affect the sound it produces?

The speed of a spinning object directly affects the frequency of the sound it produces. The faster the object spins, the higher the frequency of the sound waves. This is because the faster the object moves, the more vibrations it creates per second, resulting in a higher-pitched sound.

4. What role does surface texture play in sound generation from spinning objects?

The surface texture of a spinning object can affect the quality and intensity of the sound it produces. A rough surface can create more friction with the air molecules, resulting in a louder and more complex sound. In contrast, a smooth surface may produce a softer and more uniform sound.

5. Can different materials produce different sounds when spun at the same speed?

Yes, different materials can produce different sounds when spun at the same speed. This is because the material's density, shape, and surface texture can all impact the vibrations and sound waves produced. For example, a metal object may produce a sharper and louder sound compared to a wooden object spun at the same speed.