Torque Required to bring a drum to rest

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving a goods lift with a cage and a counterweight. The task is to find the braking torque required to bring the lift to rest within a given time frame, while also considering the effects of gravity. Various approaches are discussed, including using energy and force equations. The main points of confusion are the calculation of the stopping distance, the contribution of potential energy to the braking torque, and the role of kinetic energy in the braking process.
teage

Homework Statement

I have a problem involving a goods lift with a cage m1 = 1500kg which is raised at V = 4m/s via a winding drum with a radius of 0.6m with the help of a counter weight of m = 900kg. i am asked to find the braking torque required to bring it to rest in 1 1/3 seconds. Also i am to consider gravity playing its part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated a few things that i thought i would need

inertia of the drum = 95 kg.m^2.
angular acceleration = -5 rad/sec^2
angular velocity= 6 2/3 rad/sec
linear distance to stop = 8m

My idea was to add the kinetic energy of m1, The drum and the potential energy of m2 together to get a total energy so i could use T= E/theta. But then i realized that m1 would contribute to the braking force.
i have attached an image of what i am working with. Any assistance or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks
Kane

Attachments

• IMG_4268.JPG
    IMG_4268.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_4268.JPG
    IMG_4268.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry about the image being 90 degrees off optimal! it was the right way when i viewed it earlier.

I don't get 8m to stop. Did you miss something out?
You don't state a mass for the drum, so where does the 95kg m2 come from?
Working entirely with energy should be ok. I see no mention of the change in PE of m1.
If the braking torque is ##\tau##, what work will it do in the stopping distance?
(The two pages you posted are identical. Should they be different?)

haruspex said:
I don't get 8m to stop. Did you miss something out?
You don't state a mass for the drum, so where does the 95kg m2 come from?
Working entirely with energy should be ok. I see no mention of the change in PE of m1.
If the braking torque is ##\tau##, what work will it do in the stopping distance?
(The two pages you posted are identical. Should they be different?)

Thanks for the input, the drum inertia was a given and the 8m is what i was using for potential energy(using kinematic equations solving for theta). Do i use the distance to stop when calculating the potential energies?

I've tried again this morning using a different method

method

calculate the tension forces in each side and find the torque required my multiplying the total force by the radius.I tried again with the energy method. I've left out potential energies because they don't seem to contribute towards the braking torque, or do they? I've attached pictures of both, with very different results. where am i going wrong?

Thanks

Kane

Attachments

• PF2.JPG
    PF2.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 380
sorry, second pic is here..i'm having no luck with uploads here.. please excuse that

Attachments

• PF1.JPG
    PF1.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 435
I forgot to mention: please do not post working as images, especially if you don't seem to be able to get them to appear right way up!
You still have not explained how you get 8m. Please post your working for that.
And yes, you do need to consider gravitational PE. Why do you think gravity doesn't affect the braking torque?

Likes teage
haruspex said:
I forgot to mention: please do not post working as images, especially if you don't seem to be able to get them to appear right way up!
You still have not explained how you get 8m. Please post your working for that.
And yes, you do need to consider gravitational PE. Why do you think gravity doesn't affect the braking torque?

s=ut+(1/2)at^2

u= 4m/s; t= 1 1/3s; a=3/ms^2

s=8m

For m1, it is traveling vertically upward, contributing to the braking torque. i don't understand how the height that it is at effects the force it contributes to braking. or which height to use. The only height i have is the stopping distance. Also i don't think the kinetic energy would contribute anything, considering it is going up and slowing down.

For m2 the force of tension takes into account mg and ma, so i don't know what i am missing there. I think the kinetic energy for this mass plays a big role. i just don't know how to apply the concept.

Thanks for taking the time!

teage said:
u= 4m/s; t= 1 1/3s; a=3/ms^2
It's getting faster while braking?!
teage said:
don't understand how the height that it is at effects the force it contributes to braking.
The height doesn't affect the force, but you're mixing up the energy view with the force view.
In the force view, the gravitational force affects the braking force needed.
In the energy view, the change in height affects the quantity of energy the braking has to dispose of.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

How is torque related to bringing a drum to rest?

In order to bring a drum to rest, a certain amount of torque must be applied to counteract the rotational motion of the drum. This torque is necessary to overcome the inertia of the drum and decelerate it to a stop.

What factors affect the torque required to bring a drum to rest?

The torque required to bring a drum to rest depends on the mass and moment of inertia of the drum, as well as the angular velocity at which it is rotating. The friction and air resistance acting on the drum may also affect the required torque.

How can the torque required to bring a drum to rest be calculated?

The torque required to bring a drum to rest can be calculated using the formula T = I * α, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the drum's mass and dimensions, and the angular acceleration can be determined from the drum's angular velocity and the time it takes to come to rest.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the torque required to bring a drum to rest?

Understanding the torque required to bring a drum to rest is important in industries that use rotating equipment, such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy production. It can also be useful in designing and optimizing braking systems for vehicles and machinery.