Sound intensity/Ear drum problem

In summary: Remember to double the area to account for both ears. In summary, we have an isotropic source emitting sound waves equally in all directions with an intensity of 1.9 * 10^-4 W/m^2 at a distance of 2.50m. Using the formula Intensity = Psource/(4πR^2), we can solve for the power of the source and get a value of .015 Watts. To determine the distance at which both ears receive 0.42*10^-12 Joules of energy per second, we use the formula Preceived = (Intensity)/(Area), doubling the area to account for both ears. We then plug this value into the formula Intensity = Psource/(4πR
Zeus711

Homework Statement

A source emits sound waves equally in all directions. The intensity of the waves 2.50m from the source is 1.9 * 10^-4 W/m^2
a) Find the power of the source
b) If the diameter of your ear drum is 8.4 mm, how far from the source do you have to be located, so that your ears combine receive 0.42*10^-12 Joules of energy.

Homework Equations

Intensity = Psource/(4πR^2) Due to it being an isotropic source
Preceived = (Intensity)/(Area)
Energy = (Preceived) * (time)

The Attempt at a Solution

So part (a) I'm easily able to solve using the formula, Intensity = Psource/(4πR^2)
Just plug in the value for the intensity and distance (2.50m), isolate for Psource, and you get .015 Watts.

Part (b) I'm pretty confident I know how to solve, there are just a few things that are tripping me up. What I would do is
1) Energy = (Preceived) * (time) From this you are able to determine the Preceived is 0.42*10^-12 Watts, by simply plugging in 1 second for time.
2) You would then use Preceived = (Intensity)/(Area). Using the diameter of the ear given, we are able to solve for the area: (π(4.2*10^-3 m)^2). Plug in the value from Preceived and get the Intensity.
3) Plug this Intensity value, along with Psource from part (a) into the formula, Intensity = Psource/(4πR^2)
and then solve for R. Am I right in determining that the 'R' in this formula would represent the distance we are trying to determine?

Can someone confirm this process is correct?
The issue that I am running into is that the question asks how far you have to be so that BOTH your ears combined receive 0.42*10^-12 Joules of energy. From our calculations, we only took into account the area for one ear. Do I double the area for the ear for the prior step then solve? Or can I just halve the power and then solve for one ear? I'm so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get the period of 1 second from? Seems to me the question is flawed. It should either specify a period of time or specify a level of received power, not a quantity of energy.
Other than that, yes, just double the area.

Oh yeah. Forgot to add that the question says 0.42*10^-12 Joules of energy per second.
Would my calculations now be correct?

Zeus711 said:
Oh yeah. Forgot to add that the question says 0.42*10^-12 Joules of energy per second.
Would my calculations now be correct?
Should be.

What is sound intensity and how is it measured?

Sound intensity is the amount of energy that travels through a unit area in a certain amount of time. It is measured in decibels (dB) and can be measured using a sound level meter.

How does sound intensity affect the ear drum?

The ear drum is a sensitive membrane that vibrates in response to sound waves. The more intense the sound, the more it will vibrate. If the sound intensity is too high, it can cause damage to the eardrum and potentially lead to hearing loss.

What is the safe level of sound intensity for the ear drum?

The safe level of sound intensity for the ear drum is considered to be around 85 dB. Exposure to sounds above this level for extended periods of time can cause damage to the ear drum and other structures in the ear.

How does the ear protect itself from high sound intensity?

The ear has a natural defense mechanism to protect itself from high sound intensity. This includes the muscles in the middle ear contracting to reduce the vibrations of the ear drum, and the tiny hair cells in the inner ear releasing a chemical to dampen the sound waves.

Can prolonged exposure to high sound intensity lead to permanent damage to the ear drum?

Yes, prolonged exposure to high sound intensity can lead to permanent damage to the ear drum and other structures in the ear. This can result in hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and other auditory problems.