On equivalence of QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics

In summary, the discussion revolves around the equivalence of quantum field theory in imaginary time and quantum statistical physics, and how it relates to the concept of temperature. The question is raised about why quantum fields are seen as more abstract compared to classical fields like electromagnetism. Additionally, the possibility of deriving thermal quantum field theory through the formal correspondence of temperature and imaginary time is mentioned, as well as the use of non-relativistic field theory in statistical field theory. Finally, the real-time formalism is brought up as an alternative approach to deriving thermal quantum field theory.
tomkeus
Does fact that QFT in imaginary time is equivalent to QSP represents the proof that many-particle quantum physics is equivalent to quantum theory of fields?

To elaborate a little, I had some discussion with some engineers, and when I was explaining them Standard Model I had to invoke concepts of quantum fields and they immediately turned their noses in despise to "overly abstract" concept.

Since they didn't have problems with quantum particles and statistical physics I've thought of taking the route starting from many-particle quantum physics but I'm not sure that I can do that because I'm not certain how to treat equivalence of imaginary time with temperature. I mean, parameter t in QFT enters from space-time structure but parameter [tex]\beta[/tex] is inserted in partition function only to be shown after calculation, what is it's connection with kinetic energy.

In Minkowski space time-component of energy-momentum is energy but I cannot find any formal transformation which would transform it into median kinetic energy at corresponding temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why cast pearls before the swine ? ;-)

Why is the quantum field more abstract than the classical field of let's say electromagnetism?

malawi_glenn said:
Why is the quantum field more abstract than the classical field of let's say electromagnetism?

Well, beats me, but I kinda came to think of it as an interesting question. One of the first thing you are being taught about QFT is that you cannot do right single-particle relativistic QM because necessarily pair creation-annihilation comes into play. Now, what if we try doing quantum statistical mechanics of relativistic particles? Would we get QFT as a result of formal correspondence of temperature and imaginary time?

But the fields in Statistical Field Theory is i) not particles and ii) one often use non-relativistic field theory.

I just wanted to point out that there is another way to derive thermal quantum field theory from quantum field theory other than the imaginary-time formalism. There is also the real-time formalism which is more intuitive - an operator based approach rather than path-integral. Of course path-integrals make everything easier, but sometimes you lose the physics if your view is to compare imaginary time in the path integral to inverse temperature and the partition function.

1. What is the main concept behind the equivalence of QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics?

The main concept behind the equivalence of QFT (Quantum Field Theory) and Quantum Statistical Physics is the idea that both theories describe the behavior of quantum systems at different scales. QFT deals with the microscopic level of particles and their interactions, while Quantum Statistical Physics deals with the macroscopic level of many particles and their statistical behavior.

2. How do QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics connect to each other?

QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics are connected through the concept of path integrals. In QFT, path integrals are used to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one point to another. In Quantum Statistical Physics, path integrals are used to calculate the statistical behavior of a large number of particles.

3. What are the implications of the equivalence of QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics?

The equivalence of QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics has significant implications for our understanding of quantum systems. It allows us to study the behavior of particles at both the microscopic and macroscopic levels using the same mathematical framework. This has led to advancements in various fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

4. Are there any experimental evidence supporting the equivalence of QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics?

Yes, there is experimental evidence supporting the equivalence of QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics. For example, the Bose-Einstein condensate, a state of matter described by Quantum Statistical Physics, can also be described by a QFT called the Gross-Pitaevskii equation. This shows that the two theories produce equivalent results in certain systems.

5. What are some current research topics related to the equivalence of QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics?

Some current research topics related to the equivalence of QFT and Quantum Statistical Physics include the study of topological states of matter, which can be described by both theories, and the application of QFT methods to solve problems in Quantum Statistical Physics. Other areas of research include exploring the connection between entanglement and statistical behavior in quantum systems and investigating the role of symmetries in the equivalence of the two theories.