Statistical Physics vs QFT vs General relativity

In summary: So, the advice I was trying to give is that if you are not interested in QFT or GR, then you can probably get away with not taking them. However, if you are thinking about doing a PHD in physics, and you want to specialize in one of these fields, then you should probably take one of the courses.
Strohmann
Good day,

I'm starting my master in physics, and it's time for me to choose my courses.
I will take one or two of the following three courses, which are: Statistical Physics, QFT and General relativity.

Now, I'm finding it very hard to decide as on the one hand, I'm interested in QFT and General relativity. I can also not imagine a physics phd that has never heard about QFT and General relativity?
On the other hand, statistical phyiscs seems to be quite important for most research areas. Especially if I'm not planning to go into the field of particle physics. Is that correct? Or am I completely fine in most phd programs if I never heard a course in stat physics?

Now I've already done some StatMech in my Bachelors degree, but definitely not as advanced as will be treated here. I know about Fermi Dirac and Bose Einstein, and the different canonical ensembles, but that's about it.As for the actual contents of the courses:

Statistical Physics
Basics of phenomenological thermodynamics, three laws of thermodynamics.
Basics of kinetic gas theory: conservation laws, H-theorem, Boltzmann-Equations, Maxwell distribution.
Classical statistical physics: microcanonical ensembles, canonical ensembles and grandcanonical ensembles, applications to simple systems.
Quantum statistical physics: single particle, ideal quantum gases, fermions and bosons.
Bose-Einstein condensation: Bogolyubov theory, superfluidity.
Mean field and Landau theory: Ising model, Heisenberg model, Landau theory of phase transitions, fluctuations.
Critical phenomena: mean field, series expansions, scaling behavior, universality.
Renormalization group: fixed points, simple models.
Linear response theory: general formulation, response in mean field, sum rules, collective modes, fluctuation dissipation theorem.

QFT I:
This course discusses the quantisation of fields in order to introduce a coherent formalism for the combination of quantum mechanics and special relativity.
Topics include:
- Relativistic quantum mechanics
- Quantisation of bosonic and fermionic fields
- Interactions in perturbation theory
- Scattering processes and decays
- Radiative corrections

I can realistically take like one or two of the three courses. I might also be able to take the other course a year from now, although I'm not sure if that'll work out. If I left out anything important, please let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess programs differs a lot from place to place, but where I did my master statmechanics is mandatory.

If you have to choose, then go for whatever is closer to your planned research area.

Likes Strohmann
I'd say that if you plan to do high energy physics, I would go for QFT/GR. I had a lousy course on stat.mech. and I didn't loose much because of that in my PhD.

Likes Strohmann
andresB said:
I guess programs differs a lot from place to place, but where I did my master statmechanics is mandatory.

If you have to choose, then go for whatever is closer to your planned research area.
That would be quantum optics

Strohmann said:
That would be quantum optics

I don't know much of quantum optics, but I doubt it is closely related to general relativity (unless you go for quantum optics in curved spacetime or something exotic like that).

So, I guess QFT, specially QED is the way to go for you.

Likes Strohmann
Have you taken your qualifiers or candidacy exams. Usually Stat Mech is a core component of the exam. Also if you are going to be in the program for a few more years, you can take QFT or GR later. Because you are starting your masters, I think stat mech would be higher priority than the others.

Quantum Optics is pretty far removed from GR. I examined some quantum optics treatments and they have their own way of treating QFT (and this is by no means lesser than, but it is alternative to), than the conventional treatment you get in QFT. To get an idea of these differences, you can look at the prefaces in the textbooks.

For example a QFT course that emphasizes meson theory is less applicable to quantum optics than one that emphasizes atoms and photons.

As far as researchers with a doctorate that I know about. I would say 1 in 10 to 1 in 5 have never had a course in general relativity. Sometimes GR is taught alternative years. My research advisor suggested electives that were more useful directly to our research area.
Strohmann said:
Or am I completely fine in most phd programs if I never heard a course in stat physics?
1 in 5 to 1 in 3 have never had a course in QFT. Every researcher I know of had a graduate course in statistical mechanics, without exception.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Strohmann
Correction to my earlier post. I said never rather than ever. Even if my grammar was wrong, the point I am trying to make is Stat Mech among physics PHD's was universal. physics PHD's with General relativity and QFT courses were (at best) in the minority. (i.e. < 50 %). I think the reason for this is not lack of interest. Almost everybody wants to learn these exciting fields. On the other hand research advisors are less happy to fund courses that distract from their own research areas. They want grad students to hit the ground running and obtain research results.

Likes Strohmann

What is the difference between Statistical Physics, QFT, and General Relativity?

Statistical Physics, Quantum Field Theory (QFT), and General Relativity are three distinct branches of physics that study different phenomena. Statistical Physics deals with the behavior of large groups of particles and their statistical properties, while QFT describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. General Relativity, on the other hand, studies the behavior of matter and energy on a large scale and their influence on the curvature of space-time.

How do these three branches of physics relate to each other?

Statistical Physics and QFT are both based on the principles of quantum mechanics, but they are used to study different types of systems. General Relativity, on the other hand, is based on the theory of gravity and is not directly related to the other two branches. However, efforts have been made to unify these theories into a single framework, such as in the field of quantum gravity.

Which branch of physics is most applicable to real-world situations?

All three branches of physics have real-world applications. Statistical Physics is used in fields such as thermodynamics and material science, QFT is used in particle physics and quantum computing, and General Relativity is used in astrophysics and cosmology. Each branch has its own set of applications and is essential for understanding different physical phenomena.

What are the main challenges in reconciling these three theories?

The main challenge in reconciling these theories is that they have different underlying assumptions and mathematical frameworks. Statistical Physics and QFT are based on quantum mechanics, while General Relativity is based on classical mechanics. Finding a unified theory that can incorporate all of these principles and accurately describe the behavior of matter and energy at all scales is a major challenge in modern physics.

What are some current research topics in these three branches of physics?

Some current research topics in Statistical Physics include the study of complex systems, phase transitions, and non-equilibrium thermodynamics. In QFT, researchers are studying topics such as quantum entanglement, quantum field fluctuations, and the behavior of particles at high energies. In General Relativity, current research topics include black hole physics, gravitational waves, and the nature of dark matter and dark energy.