Importance of Densities in QFT

• A
  • Thread starter physwiz222
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that it might be possible to describe the Quantum Fields in terms of charge and particle densities at least via the Operator Formalism. However, this would require a detailed understanding of the local field operators and may be very difficult to do for interacting fields.
physwiz222
TL;DR Summary
I wonder if there is a way to find charge and particle number densities of Quantum Fields like in regular QM
I have been looking at QFT out of curiosity so I am not an expert. In standard Quantum Mechanics you have something called the Charge or Electron density where you essentially describe a many particle wavefunction in terms of 3 coordinates by integrating the coordinates of all the electrons except for one and repeat for every electron giving you the Total Electron Density as a function of 3 coordinates. In fact many methods in Quantum Chemistry like Density Functional Theory seek to calculate this.

Is a similar thing possible in QFT as the wavefunction in QFT is a wavefunctional an infinite dimensional functional of field configurations but we live in 3 dimensions so is it possible to describe the Quantum Fields in terms of charge and particle densities at least via the Operator Formalism like is there a Particle/Charge Density Operator in QFT which you can take the expectation value of to get the charge or particle density of say the vacuum or the 1 particle state and visualize that.

Also it seems no one ever calculates charge and particle densities in QFT if there is such an operator at least for free fields its probably horribly intractable for interacting fields (from what I know we dont even have a way to describe finite time dynamics of interacting fields at least with the S Matrix and Feynman Diagrams so computing densities for this is out of the question).

With that in mind why is it never calculated for free fields isnt the charge density or Particle Density of Quantum Fields an Important thing to study as it provides a 3 dimensional tangible picture of for example the Vacuum State. I know QFT courses have to focus on Feynman Diagrams and the S Matrix but why cant we also find charge and particle densities of Free Fields at least to visualize the Vacuum and particle states in a more concrete spatial way to see how particles emerge from Fields.

Keep in mind I am not asking for a classical realist picture of electron trajectories. I want a 3 dimensional tangible non classical picture of charge and energy density. I know Quantum Fields arent like classical fields I just want to know if it possible to describe them using charge or particle number density.

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge-current and the energy-momentum tensor (containing the energy and momentum density) are described by local field operators. Eg., for the free Dirac field the charge four-current is given by
$$\hat{j}^{\mu}(x)=q :\hat{\bar{\psi}}(x) \gamma^{\mu} \hat{\psi}(x):.$$

Likes Demystifier and topsquark

What is the concept of density in quantum field theory (QFT)?

The concept of density in QFT refers to the amount of a particular field or particle present in a given volume of space. In QFT, particles are described as excitations of a field, and the density of this field can vary throughout space and time.

Why is density important in QFT?

Density is important in QFT because it allows us to calculate the interactions between particles and fields. By understanding how the density of a field changes, we can predict the behavior of particles and their interactions with other particles and fields.

How is density related to energy in QFT?

In QFT, energy is closely linked to density through the famous equation E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that a higher density of a field or particle corresponds to a higher energy.

What role does density play in the formation of particles in QFT?

In QFT, particles are formed through the interaction of fields. The density of these fields determines the probability of particle creation or annihilation. Therefore, density plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of particles in QFT.

How does density affect the behavior of particles in QFT?

The density of fields and particles can affect their behavior in various ways. For example, a high density of a field can lead to strong interactions between particles, while a low density can result in weak interactions. Density also plays a role in determining the stability and lifetime of particles in QFT.