Type of Wood for Model Airfoil Construction

by waealu
Tags: airfoil, construction, model, type, wood
waealu
Aug7-09, 12:34 AM
P: 37
I am constructing a few model airfoils for some low speed wind tunnel tests. I will be using wooden ribs covered in Mylar. I was just wondering what kind of wood is best for this situation: balsa, basswood, or a different kind of wood.

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Danger
Aug7-09, 12:56 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
If weight isn't an issue, it would probably be cheapest, and just as effective, to use low-grade plywood or fibreboard.
Cyrus
Aug7-09, 01:58 AM
P: 4,780
Why are you covering it in mylar?

xxChrisxx
Aug7-09, 05:54 AM
P: 2,032

Type of Wood for Model Airfoil Construction

I'd say balsa is probably the best as its the lightest and stiffest and its easy to work with. If cost is an issue go with what danger said.

Depending on the accuracy needed, you may want to consider a high density modelling foam. Its much much cheaper than wood, a lot faster to work with if you are going to be makign more than 1 aerofoil. Drawbacks are that, you really need a hot wire cutter to get the best out of it and that the surface will be rougher than a wood+mylar equivilant (although you can get it pretty damn smooth with a bit of work).
amezcua
Sep26-09, 06:15 AM
P: 29
Balsa is close to Spruce on the lightness scale.Spruce wins if you need stiffness as well.That`s why violin bellies are made of it.Size would affect the choice. Less need for bracing.If you need tennis court sizes the "Spruce Goose " model would suit your needs.That would be some wind tunnel!

Register to reply