Definition wind tunnel blockage ratio

In summary, the speaker is designing a 2D wind tunnel model for a master thesis, with the aim of measuring steady and unsteady pressure distributions. They are considering a blockage ratio of 5%-10% and are unsure of what area of the model should be set in relation to the wind tunnel cross section area. They are also using correction factors for blockage effects and streamline curvature and are seeking clarification on the definition of "frontal area."
BeSk
Hello,
I’m designing a 2D wind tunnel model for my master thesis. It will be a profile equipped with a fixed hinged trailing edge flap. I’m going to measure at different angle of attacks and different flap settings at low speeds (about 70 to 100 m/s). The aim is to measure steady and unsteady pressure distributions. To calculate the maximum scale of the model I have to consider the maximum blockage ratio of 5% - 10% (which I found in the public literature).
My question is no which area of the model do I have to set in relation of the wind tunnel cross section area? Is it the in x-axis projected frontal area of the model (considering the angle of attack and the flap deflection) or is it the maximum thickness of the airfoil times model span?
The wind tunnel will has a closed test section and doesn’t have slotted walls.
I’m looking forward to your comments!

Physics news on Phys.org
Total frontal area of the test article. You are trying to express how much of the wind tunnel is actually free to pass through when traveling past the article.

Why? Maybe you can explain your opinion in detail. What effect would happen to my results (such as pressure distribution) if I would build a too big model?

Pressures would be low if you build too big. Using too large of a model essentially creates a pair of Venturi nozzles. Keeping blockage small keeps the flow from feeling the effects of the walls.

Also, I blockage is too high, some wind tunnels have trouble starting.

Just to add to what bonehead said. There are corrections you can apply to your data for blockage effects and other tunnel wall effects such as streamline curvature as long as your model is not too big. If the model is too big the tunnel walls can qualitatively change the flow over your model in which case you can't correct for that.

You should check out "low speed wind tunnel testing" by pope if you are unfamiliar with these things.

Thank you for your replies. I have the book from Alan Pope right here on my desk. I’m going to use these correction factors for solid- & wake blockage as well as streamline curvature. The Question is how big can I build the model considering the correction factors? Regarding the Blockage Ratio Pope says that it is the “frontal area” of the model in relation to the cross sectional area of the tunnel. For me it was not indisputable what he meant with “frontal area”.

It means take a perpindicular slice through your test section and then project your model onto that. The area on that plane is your frontal area.

What is wind tunnel blockage ratio?

Wind tunnel blockage ratio is a measurement used in aerodynamics to describe the amount of obstruction or interference caused by the wind tunnel walls, support structures, and other components within the testing area. It is expressed as a percentage of the total cross-sectional area of the wind tunnel.

Why is wind tunnel blockage ratio important?

Wind tunnel blockage ratio is important because it can affect the accuracy and reliability of aerodynamic testing results. High blockage ratios can lead to distorted airflow and inaccurate data, while low blockage ratios can result in insufficient data for analysis.

How is wind tunnel blockage ratio calculated?

Wind tunnel blockage ratio is calculated by dividing the total cross-sectional area of the wind tunnel by the area of the test section. The test section is the area where the airflow is measured and controlled. The resulting number is then multiplied by 100 to get the blockage ratio percentage.

What is the ideal wind tunnel blockage ratio?

The ideal wind tunnel blockage ratio depends on the specific testing needs and goals. However, in general, a blockage ratio of less than 5% is considered ideal for accurate and reliable aerodynamic testing results.

How can wind tunnel blockage ratio be minimized?

Wind tunnel blockage ratio can be minimized by designing wind tunnels with larger test sections and using streamlined support structures. Additionally, using advanced correction techniques and flow visualization methods can also help reduce the effects of blockage on testing results.